Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Definitely a rant....kinda long

Default Definitely a rant....kinda long

So this past Monday I was recommended to go to a dermatologist by my optometrist because I've had tissue built up on my eye lid from a previous eye lid infection last year, that swells up every now and again. My optometrist thought maybe my rosacea might be partially to blame for it flaring up and getting larger at times. I was excited to think that maybe with some topical cream I could calm down this tissue on my eye lid, until I can get it removed later in May.

I get to the dermatologist feeling good. My LO makes friends with EVERYONE in the waiting room. I find out I'm not going to see who my other doctor recommended but that was ok, besides, how bad could it be??? Had I known how bad it COULD be, I would've left that instant.

We get into the room and I explain my issue to the nurse or assistant, or whatever she was. She was nice to my son, and played with him, etc.

The doctor walks in, starts off ok, then goes off on a tangent about my finger nail biting habit causing my eye to swell, and how I'll teach my son a bad habit, etc. I got a little flustered, but let it slide.

The doctor was probably in his 50's, so my parents age, but so dry, and not personable at all. He told me we were going to eliminate some foods, to calm my skin's redness down, but immediately lost his train of thought or just didn't finish his thought and went straight to medication.

He said he's give me a topical cream on top of oral medication. I was sure to ask if it was ok to take while breastfeeding. He stops dead in his tracks, looks at me like I'm psycho and proceeds to say "WHO are you breastfeeding?" I pointed to my son and said "I'm BF'ing him". His mouth dropped open and said "Why??? Isn't he over a year?? You need to stop". I did everything I could not to belt out facts and most importantly I had to bite my tongue because I wanted to strangle the man and tell him to shut up.

I left that place crying and will never step foot in that office again. I cried to my mom and husband and told them how I wished people would quit telling me to raise my child. I guess I can blame his lack of knowledge about breastfeeding, and leave it at that.

I do pose this question though. I'd personally like to e-mail, call, or leave a message for their office and let them know what he did to me. He used a loud, rude tone of voice, and had no right to tell me to stop breastfeeding and why.

Do I just let it roll off my back, or say something?!?!?!?!? This is the first time I've ever dealt with this kind of situation so I'm conflicted with how I should react.
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    Mommy to Landon 1-29-2010, who nursed for 4 years!
    Mommy to DD Sadie born May 2nd, 2014 and nursing like a champ!

We all love and

Default Re: Definitely a rant....kinda long

Holy Cow! I'm so sorry that happened to you.

I would definitely let that office know. I would also let the optometrist that gave you the referral know. And I would take my business to a different dermatologist.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Write the office a letter explaining the situation. Include information from valid (peer reviewed) sources about the benefits of nursing past one if you think that's necessary. I'd also send a copy to the referring doctor.

If you write up a letter you can post it here and we'll help you edit it if you want.

I'm sorry that happened to you.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'm sorry, too. That's awful, and it really makes me mad

I hope you plan to write.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    If you write up a letter you can post it here and we'll help you edit it if you want.

So sorry, mama, you didn't deserve that. I HATE it when drs. get judgemental over life choices. That is never their place. And in this case, as it is only healthier for you and your son it is even MORE not his place to judge. Even if you don't have us help you, let us know what you decide to do! He shouldn't just be able to go on with his practice not being called out for such unprofessional behavior AND probably spreading poor medical advice to other moms in the future to boot.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Write the office a letter explaining the situation. Include information from valid (peer reviewed) sources about the benefits of nursing past one if you think that's necessary. I'd also send a copy to the referring doctor.

so sorry. Definitely rant worthy.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

What a horrible experience. I hope you don't give them any more business!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

What a bummer! I'm so sorry that happened to you. I would send a short, polite letter to the dermatologist you saw, letting him know that he was rude to you, and also that he is misinformed about breastfeeding. I suggest including this quote from the American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement on Breastfeeding: "Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother... There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer." Obviously shaking your at this S.O.B. would be more therapeutic, but it's unlikely to change his heart or mind.

If you ever are in that situation again, I suggest not biting your tongue, and just letting the guy have it right there in the office.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

UGH hate this!! It happened to me once too, when I toll DD to the gastro, she was about 1 1/2 and he asked me to tell him about her diet. He started with what are her fluids during the day, and I said water and breastmilk. And he went off on a rant! I took DD casue pedi reccomended due to her below the charts and stomach issues. Gastro told me no wonder she is tiny, she cant live on BM alone...and went on and on. I was like WHAT?? You only asked about her fluids??? She eats plenty! But he was so distraught about her stilll nursing I dont hink he heard a thing. Whats the deal with these docs??? As a DOCTOR??? Not knowing that human mmilk is best for human babies??? Our milk has no nutrition for our babies, but we SHOULD give them milk that was meant for baby cows??? Is just makes NO SENCE!!!!

Anyhow, sorry that you wnet thru that, and hope that you get a new doc!!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If you ever are in that situation again, I suggest not biting your tongue, and just letting the guy have it right there in the office.
    Hahaha I wish I didn't bite my tongue. Thanks for all the advice ladies. It means a lot to me. I think I'll be writing a letter soon!

Thanks again ladies
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    Mommy to Landon 1-29-2010, who nursed for 4 years!
    Mommy to DD Sadie born May 2nd, 2014 and nursing like a champ!

We all love and