Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4th baby, first time bf, not sure if we're ok or not

Default 4th baby, first time bf, not sure if we're ok or not

Hi there! I just had my baby girl on Tuesday. She's my 4th baby. I was unable to bf my first son, or my twins due to various reasons. However, I am determined to get this little girl, as with the twins only being 21 months, pumping time is extremely limited.

So far, she seems to have a decent suck, it's a combination of her latch, small mouth and my nipples that have me wondering where we're going wrong. She pretty much refuses my left breast totally, which is inverted, even with a nipple shield she doesn't do well with it. I always offer it first though, My right, if she can get on, she does well with, however, due to a bad latch for the first night, I have some blistering and bruising, so was told to use the shield there as well. Without the shield, it seems like she just can't get my whole nipple in her mouth and it ends up that she gets half of it in her mouth and then sucks it into a peak, which is where the blistering etc is.

She's a tiny thing, 6lbs 4oz coming home, and my nipples are very large. I am not sure if using the shield is benefiting me or harming me, as I can only find a 24mm and no larger in my town or online and for my pump I use 27mm. So, due to all of the above, my breasts are getting very full, and engorged and I have pumped some to releive pressure after feeding her, but I don't want to increase my supply before she needs it. Is it ok to pump what's left off to relieve the pressure and soreness? I know it's just a waiting game till she learns to do what she needs to do and for my nipples to toughen up a bit, but I feel like there's something I'm missing. She's not up to the daily diapers yet, but the lactation consultant explained that it goes by how many days old she is, for the first week, so I am not overly worried at this point. She's not jaundiced at all and she, if allowed to, will sleep up to 5 hours between feeds, which I put a stop to.

I just am so unsure about it all. I am going to see a lactation consultant today, but wanted to ask here as well, as I know you ladies know your stuff too. Thanks for anything you can offer for advice!

Tara

Default Re: 4th baby, first time bf, not sure if we're ok or not

I had a lot of the problems you are describing here. My nipples are very large so when my LO was tiny our latch was TERRIBLE. I spent close to a month I think very sore, and Lanolin was my very best friend. Also had a lot of supply issues I think because he nursed so often the first couple of weeks. He would sip rather than have a good feed. We are actually still fighting a bit with my supply. Don't know why but I'm sure I could feed a football team of babies.

I would deff not pump at all if you can stand it. What I did if my breast was just too full for him to latch was hand express/pump just a little bit. Enough for my nipple to soften up so he could get on. Also at the peek of the worst oversupply we had to do some block feeding. I personally didn't go by hours because he is very unscheduled, but fed him three times on one side, and then the next three on the other side.

I have heard that shields can help with latch, but I have also heard that if improperly used they can lead to supply issues, as well as being very hard to ween the baby off them. We just toughed it out untill his mouth got a bit bigger. His latch is still a bit wonky but I think that is mostly because I have super soakers apparently, and the flow is a bit much for him right now.

I know the other ladies will have tons of good info This is my first time around BF as well so we are still learning.

Welcome aboard!

Congratulations on your new daughter!!

I've been watching this post today but don't have experience with the issues you've asked about. I can't offer much advice, but I did want to give it a bump Also, I'm curious about your visit to the LC - were you able to get the help you needed?
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Welcome and congrats on the new baby!

Can you tell us
    -how many wet and poopy diapers your baby has been having?
    -how often she's nursing?
    -if you're hearing lots of swallowing when she nurses?
    -how often you are feeling engorged?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi ladies. Well the app with the LC went really well. Apparently alot of my issues, were self induced with me doubting myself. Little one has definately done major damage to my nipples and the LC reccomended keeping them well lubricated with lanolin and saran wrap for 24 hours. She said that will allow for healing to happen, without the scabs forming, which is what will hurt the worst when feeding. Little one has a good latch, despite me thinking her mouth was too small. The LC said if we can get her on and going well with the shield, which we can, then not to worry about over-using it, as it's getting the job done. She's been eating really well today since the app, I can see her jaw working well, hear her swallowing and she's done 2 more dirty diapers which meets what the LC told me would be her minimum for her age, total was 4 poopy diapers today. She also told me that the engorged feeling is normal for bf and will go away once the baby and my body are in sync. My concern there was I never got enorged when I was pumping for my twins, as I was able to pump it all out at once. So, this is one more new thing for us to get used to. Well, we're currently going through our first official cluster feed and someone is letting me know it's time again, lol. Thanks for the help and support ladies! I will be back!

Tara

Great news!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"