Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding adoptive baby

Default breastfeeding adoptive baby

Hello all,

I'm a new member and lucky mother of six wonderful children.Our newest member arrived on April 5th.He's feeding very well.Breastmilk from boob from mama and from the bottle from papa.Our plan is to use breastmilk for at least the first six months and then we'll see.

A new sibling is on his/her way through adoption.The grand debut is on August.We have adopted children in the past but this is the first (and last) time I'll be lactating when we welcome a baby.

If it is possible and reasonable,I might decide to keep breastfeeding the two babies for a while. I've heard of mothers of "irish twins" feeding a toddler and a newborn.If I am correct,the pregnancy hormones help the body keep up with the milk production and makes the milk appropriate for newborn baby again.

Obviously,pregnancy hormones are not going to help us, but,is there any literature or first hand experience on situations like ours?

I get the feeling that it shouldn't be very complicated,but that's just my instinct.I'm sure all of you are better informed and have a deeper understanding of breastfeeding that I do.My decision to breastfeed when possible is mostly based on family experience and cultural practices. You would think that after six children I would have a better idea of what I'm doing .

Thank you for your help and love,
    ladyluck.

Default Re: breastfeeding adoptive baby

Have you nursed your other children? Just curious.

Is your new baby going to be a newborn? Or an older baby? I'm asking because it will probably be easier to get a new baby to latch than a baby that is used to the bottle.

One thing you could do is start pumping extra now. Babies generally eat 24 to 32 ounces of milk per day and you'll need to be able to feed your current baby and your new baby, so you will need a higher supply than you can acheive by having your current baby nurse.

And congratulations!! That's all very exciting!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Hello mommy2lilah,

I have two biological children and four adoptive children.I breastfed our bio kids but not exclusively.We used booby and bottle, with one for seven months and the other one is working on it.No formula, just breastmilk.

My other sons and daughters were either adopted at an age where they didn't need breastfeeding or were adopted while on the NICU so breastfeeding wasn't even considered.

Number seven will be a newborn when he/she comes home,so I suppose its good news for breastfeeding..Thank you for your help.The pump and I are already good friends so I might start using it to increase my supply.I'm not opposed to formula feeding either.If its too difficult that's the path we'll take,but I'm reading some articles suggested by another user and breastfeedin looks very promising.I would like to try.Thanks again.

BTW,Lilah is a lovely name.

Cheers,
    Ladyluck.
    Last edited by @llli*ladyluck7; April 28th, 2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: forgot to add information

with pp

Congratulations! This is such an exciting chance for your family. Two babies so close in age! I don't know this for a fact, but my instinct is that your milk will be perfectly appropriate for a new baby in August. Your current little one will only be 4 months or so by that point, so you will still be making little baby milk.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

First off congrats & welcome you have come to the right place. And whay a awesome mamma you are for wanting to BF.

I BF 2 at the same time, I BF my DS (now 9) through out my whole pregnancy with DD (now 6) and though I did have one dr tell me not to, I had done my research and knew it would be fine. When my DD was born I had a MUCH easier time BFing her (not so much w/first 3) I always made sure I BF her befor DS, he had only ben BFing a few times a day but when DD came along DS wanted to ALOT more I wont lie to you there were times I was like... "what was I thinkin" but the closeness I felt to them and the rewards of being able to sucessivley BF 2 was AMAZING and the bond between the two of them, to this day is awesome

My advise to you is gather up every oz of paitence you have, you'll need it
    Dont worry about the house chores and ENJOY this awesome experience that so many dont get a chance to have And come here for support, ??, venting, or w/e these are a great bunch of mammas

jenn
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

I think the milk will be fine for the baby too. It's certainly going to be better than formula. And you'll have no trouble getting the baby to nurse since you've already nursed several others.

Congratulations again!!

Oh, and I don't think the new baby will need 24 ounces a day straight off the bat, and you've got some time to increase your supply and then the baby will help with that too.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?