Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: oversupply/baby spluttering

Default oversupply/baby spluttering

Hi - in the last day, my 4weekold has started spluttering/gasping/pulling off one side after about 5 minutes. is there a 2nd letdown or something that occurs @ then? he then falls asleep and doesn't want (or apparently need) more from that side. as an experiment, after he ate for maybe 10 minutes total i pumped that side for 3 minutes and got 2 ounces (i'm sure there's several times that left in that breast - AFTER he eats)

i've tried feeding him more laid back so gravity doesnt help, and am using cabbages leaves on that side to attempt to slow down the flow. i only feed 1 side per feeding as that gives him more than enough. anything else i should be doing?

Thanks-
    Last edited by @llli*darius; April 28th, 2011 at 01:55 PM.

Default Re: oversupply/baby spluttering

Is that the only issue, or are you seeing green frothy poop as well?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

no green poop, its the usual mustardy/runny consistency. he is gassy and usually spits up a good mouthful after each feed, and does not burp well.

You could try block feeding to lower your supply some. Have you tried that yet? It's where you nurse off one side only for two hours and then switch to the other side and back again. And if two hours doesn't reduce it enough, you could stretch it out to 4 hour blocks.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Another trick for overactive letdown is to unlatch your baby when the sputtering begins, then let your milk spray into a towel, and latch the baby back on when the flow has slowed down a bit.

If you decide to try block feeding, definitely start with two hours ... from what you describe, I'm wondering if your issue is more the OALD than terrible oversupply (although it sounds like you have high supply, don't get me wrong, it's not as out of control as some mamas). If nursing one side at a time is working well for you, then all that means is that if the baby acts hungry less than two hours after your last feed, you offer the SAME BREAST as last time, rather than switching.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks. Right now he's nursing on average every 2.5-3 hrs.. so each side gets used every 5-6 hrs. if i added another feeding to each side, then it would be close to a 9-hour break on each side.

When the boob comes out, i've never seen a spray (and what's odd is that the side that seems to be bothering him isn't the side that leaks and drips - that's the other side, which he hasn't been fussing over)

Thanks-

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*darius View Post
    Thanks. Right now he's nursing on average every 2.5-3 hrs.. so each side gets used every 5-6 hrs. if i added another feeding to each side, then it would be close to a 9-hour break on each side.
    It might not. Usually babies change their eating patterns a little when you start block feeding. But if you're happy with what you're doing, there's no need to mess with it. :gvibe Your baby will grow into the strong flow.

When the boob comes out, i've never seen a spray (and what's odd is that the side that seems to be bothering him isn't the side that leaks and drips - that's the other side, which he hasn't been fussing over)
    I had an experience like this - my left boob, which was nicknamed "leaky" was my "easy" side. For whatever reason, my LO had more trouble on the right. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what the issue is. But if the diaper output is normal and the baby is gaining, you don't need to worry too much. Between 2 and 8 weeks, a lot of babies are just fussy nursers. To some extent that's just normal. It usually calms down a lot around three months or so.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.