Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing bottle vs. pacifier

Post Introducing bottle vs. pacifier

Hello everyone,

I just found these forums recently and have enjoyed reading them and learning. I have a question about introducing a bottle vs. pacifier. My son is 3 weeks old and has done phenomenal with nursing. At his pedi visit today he was 2 1/2 pounds above his birth weight.

I have to attend a two day workshop in a week and a half and my son will need to be taking a bottle by then so that his grandma can feed him while I am gone.

I would like to introduce a pacifier soon as my son likes to suck (preferably his thumb) and that is a habit I would like to prevent if I can because I remember the torture I went through when my parents tried to break me from sucking my thumb.

Since I need him to take a bottle I know I need to start introducing him to it soon. How do I start introducing the bottle? At what point can I introduce a pacifier after starting a bottle?

Thanks for your help

Default Re: Introducing bottle vs. pacifier

Good job mama! and

Have you started pumping? I would pump a bit soon and try the bottle now, I think. Will you be away overnight? Or just 8 hours each day? I'm guessing that he'll probably do ok with the bottle since he's so young.

You could probably try the pacifier too, if you want, but he may not want it. You could also just let him decide when to stop sucking his own thumb so he doesn't have experiences of being "broken" from it. You would be trading breaking the thumb sucking habit for getting rid of the pacifier too, it seems to me.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I will be away for 8 hours so I will be able to nurse in the evenings.

Are you going to be able to pump during the day?

Not to harp on the thumb sucking thing again but I sucked my thumb until I was 12. I don't really remember my parents trying to get me to stop. I only stopped because I needed to have my jaw widened (nothing to do with the thumb sucking) and I couldn't fit my thumb in my mouth due to the spacer thing. Who knows, maybe I would still be sucking my thumb.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Yes I will be pumping during the day while I am away. My only fear with the thumb sucking is that he will end up like me. I was almost 20 before I managed to break the habit and it was hard.

I introduced him to the bottle tonight and he took it great then went right back to the breast fine. I am going to hold off a few days on the pacifier if I can. I find that he only wants it when he is tired and wants to go to sleep. He is great about nursing himself to sleep so that works for right now. Otherwise he will suck my pinkie when he needs to suck.

Sorry laurenf. I'm pretty sure I would still be sucking my thumb now if I hadn't had that jaw widening thing in the roof of my mouth.

My youngest is sucking her two middle fingers and I think it's just so cute.

That's great that he did so well with the bottle. Have you contacted the seminar to find out if they have a place you can pump or are you planning on pumping in your car?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laurenf View Post
    Yes I will be pumping during the day while I am away. My only fear with the thumb sucking is that he will end up like me. I was almost 20 before I managed to break the habit and it was hard.

I do think this is a valid fear and the reason I did pacifiers too. If he is already preferring his thumb, I'd get the paci in there soon. And, remember, even if he does end up to be a thumb-sucker, he is a different child. He won't necessarily do it for as long as you.

I have a niece who is 6 and still stucks her two fingers when she thinks no one is looking. Although it was a hard couple days, I was able to have DD1 get rid of her binkies at 3.5.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09