Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I need to be supplementing?

Default Do I need to be supplementing?

Background Info: Older son had major failure to thrive issues (formula feed) so I am very worried about weight gain with this little one.

She weighed 6 lbs 3.6 oz at birth. At 5 weeks she is right at 8lbs. She breastfeeds great but only eats every 3-4 hrs during the day and can go anywhere between 3-6 hrs at night. Has plenty wet diapers and BM diapers.

Default Re: Do I need to be supplementing?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*swmnmom View Post
    Background Info: Older son had major failure to thrive issues (formula feed) so I am very worried about weight gain with this little one.

She weighed 6 lbs 3.6 oz at birth. At 5 weeks she is right at 8lbs. She breastfeeds great but only eats every 3-4 hrs during the day and can go anywhere between 3-6 hrs at night. Has plenty wet diapers and BM diapers.
    Is she gaining weight? Seems to be happy and content? It sounds like everything is fine and you just have leftover stress and worry from you oldest. If her diaper count is fine and she is gaining then supplementation would just open yourself up to supply issues and nipple confusion.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

That is about 4/5 of an ounce per day of weight gain according to my calculations. I think the rough goal is 20-30 grams per day (2/3 to 1 ounce), so I think you are on track. Some babies gain faster, but not all.

Talk to your pedi, but I think you are doing great!

Have you ever tried nursing more frequently? At this age I would be trying to still get at least 8 nursing sessions in a 24 hr period, and from what you describe, you may be pushing the low end of that.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

If you are getting 5-6 wets a day she is getting enough milk. You're doing great mama! Trust your body to nourish your baby, feed her on demand, and try not to worry.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you ladies for the encouragement. If I try to push up a feeding or wake her at night she will not latch on, she just shakes her head all around. I also pump after breastfeeding a couple times a day and get about 1.5 to 2 oz all together each time. Is that where I should be at?

That's a pretty high output for pumping right after you're nursing. I think if I were you I might cut back on pumping so frequently unless you think your supply is low. Pumping after nursing is how you would increase a low supply. If you are just trying to build up a stash of milk for going back to work you might try cutting back to pumping after nursing one or maybe two times a day. Morning is the best time for most moms, supply tends to be highest early in the day.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous