Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long should i let him sleep?

Default how long should i let him sleep?

DS is almost 4 weeks old...and I do believe we are dealing with oversupply issues. I started 2 hour blockfeeding yesterday. Now this morning, it has been 4 and a half hours since he ate and he's still sleeping. Should I wake him? I hate to wake him, as this always seems to lead to gas and fussiness, but I dont know if it's healthy for him to go so long between feeding. He is 8 pounds...half a pound more then his birthweight almost 4 weeks ago...is that an ok weight gain?

Default Re: how long should i let him sleep?

I'm sure a LLL will chime in here soon, but I'd say to not let him go longer than 3 hours between feedings during the day. As far as weight gain goes, I believe you're looking for about an ounce a day on average, this would make it just short of a pound every two weeks (this little tidbit was provided by my pediatrician, so it may be lumping bf and ff babies all together). This may also help him to distinguish between day and night by allowing him to wake you at night while you wake him (if necessary) every three hours during the day.

Good luck, maybe now that you're doing the block feeding, he's getting so satisfied he can go longer (although it would be nice if he did it at nighttime!)!

Take care,
    Amy

Hi Jennifer

A weight gain of only 1/2 pound in the first month of life is a bit concerning. A baby of this age should be gaining 4-8 oz (1/4 to 1/2 pound) per week. (Breastfeeding Answer Book, 97 ed., page 114).

How are the baby's wet and dirty diapers? He should be having AT LEAST 5-6 wet disposable (6-8 cloth) diapers and 2-3 yellow bowel movements (size of a US quarter or larger) per 24 hours.

He should also be going to the breast AT LEAST 8-12 times per 24 hours. In your case, this should be 12 or more, as he's not gaining very quickly. NOTE: this does not translate out to waking him up and making him eat every 2 hours round the clock. Feed him on cue. If he cluster feeds several times in a row and sleeps a longer stretch at a different, time that's okay, as long as the total feeds per day is 12 or more. If he's sleepy to the point that you're having trouble getting enough feeds in, then you do need to wake him and try to get him to eat more.

I know you have concerns that you're dealing with oversupply issues, and based on the info I've read in some of your other posts, I'd say this is a definite possibility. Interestingly, some babies have trouble gaining weight when their mothers have oversupply issues because they have trouble with the strong flow. An article that may help you:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

Are you having any latching issues? A poor latch can make it difficult for baby to get enough milk, too.

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

well i'm sure i'm wrong about the weight...i tried to weigh him on my bathroom scale..an old fashioned dial scale no less! the last time he saw the dr was 2 weeks ago and he had gained 6 ounces over a 4 day period. He is wet and usually poopy at every diaper change, which is at every feed...so about 8 diapers a day are wet and at least 6 are poopy. I know he's getting lots of milk...but could it be too much foremilk? He's just so gassy and colicky...only unlike colick, it is on and off throught the day and night, whereas colick usually strikes at the same time every day. I'm at my wits end here.

ok...this time i got on the scale with him and then without him...it looks like he's between 9 and 10 pounds! Already?! thats crazy! anyways, just wanted to let ya know. now if we could do something about this gassiness!

it is amazing how much they can gain, my dd went from just over 6lbs to 11lbs at her 1 month checkup. I would have to say that as long as he is gaining and having the right amount of wet and dirty diapers, I would not wake him. I might be wrong, but I tend to go with the never wake a sleeping baby saying. Especially when you have 1 that did not sleep through the night until she was weaned at almost 3 and now ds who still wakes up 3 or 4 times a night to nurse and he's almost 2. Also my dd had her days and nights mixed up and she did her 4 hour stretches in the morning instead of at night. Hope this helps.

Sounds like he's having plenty of wet and dirty diapers! That's a good sign that he's getting enough.

Are his bowel movements still green? If it's a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, getting that back into balance should help with the gassiness. How are the block feedings working for you today?
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

bms are still green...I thought they were turning yellowish in the afternoon, but by night were green again. He seems to be less fussy between feeds since I started block feeding...so far the 2 hour block seems to be working. He was gassy last night i.e farting a lot...but it didn't seem to upset him as much...less crying and straining...maybe the block feeding is working?

Wink Re: how long should i let him sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Collinsmommy View Post
    DS is almost 4 weeks old...and I do believe we are dealing with oversupply issues. I started 2 hour blockfeeding yesterday. Now this morning, it has been 4 and a half hours since he ate and he's still sleeping. Should I wake him? I hate to wake him, as this always seems to lead to gas and fussiness, but I dont know if it's healthy for him to go so long between feeding. He is 8 pounds...half a pound more then his birthweight almost 4 weeks ago...is that an ok weight gain?
    So many people will tell you to wake him to eat. I won't do this with my 5 week old, and I have never done this with any of my children. I believe in letting nature take it's course. If you become engorged during this time, pump out the milk and store it in the freezer.

Otherwise, just let your body do it's thing. Not breastfeeding during the times he sleeps could actually signal your body to make less milk, which would be more helpful with your OALD issues in the long run. Let him sleep. If you have to, pump a little out..just enough for your comfort levels, until he wakes.

I always woke my DS every 3 hours during the day and never woke him at night. I'm sure this helped him to establish his nights and days and it helped to establish my supply as well. DS was 9.5 at birth 8.6 at his lowest and 10lbs by his 2 week check up.

I wouldn't let him sleep during the day because I'd be worried about weight gain and because of the fear of having him confusing his nights and days. Plus, my DS would be much easier to feed if I could catch him when he was still real sleepy.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!