Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often to pump at work

Default How often to pump at work

I have a brand new medela free style pump. My son is going 6 hours between feedings at night and only nurses on one side when he wakes up so I pump the other and save for when I return to work. I noticed that I have to rest for a minute then start pumping again in order to get the milk out, and even then I only get about 4 ounces, sometimes pumping that one side for 30 minutes (with compressions and massage at the same time).

I want to make sure I don't hurt my supply when I go back. I'll be working from 7-3, with a half hour drive to and from work. I could probably pump for two 15 minute sessions as well as two 30 minute sessions each day (pumping while driving won't work, because I really need to massage and compress to get the milk out.) I don't know if it would be necessary to pump this often or not. I'm sure I'll have to try it out and see, but I'd love to hear from other moms!

Default Re: How often to pump at work

I think the general rule is not go go more than 3 hours without pumping or nursing. I worked from 8-5 and would nurse before leaving, pump 10:15, nurse 12:15 and pump again around 3pm and then nurse when I got home at 5:15.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

The simple answer is you need to pump as much as your baby needs. If you get what you need from that schedule then you are golden. If you don't get enough then you will need to increase the number of times you pump. For me, it worked well in the beginning and then my supply took a hit - the pump just doesn't do it for me - and I needed to up it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    The simple answer is you need to pump as much as your baby needs. If you get what you need from that schedule then you are golden. If you don't get enough then you will need to increase the number of times you pump. For me, it worked well in the beginning and then my supply took a hit - the pump just doesn't do it for me - and I needed to up it.
    i agree with this, but I also found that even if I was getting the 15 ounces my son needed while i was gone in two pumping sessions, my supply would dip if i went longer than three hours during the day.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I pump 3x a day and am gone from 7-5:45-- nurse at 6:30 a.m. and immediately upon returning home. I pump for 15 minutes. I get about 12-15 ounces a day. Been doing it for 4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ilovemyzach View Post
    (pumping while driving won't work, because I really need to massage and compress to get the milk out.)
    I EP. I also need to massage and compress, but I still pump while driving. Even the little bit I get out then is something, kwim.

Some moms need to pump every 3 hours. Others can go longer. I am up to about every 4 hours without losing my supply. But at first, figure on every 3 hours that you are apart from baby.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!