Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump more and get less??

Post Pump more and get less??

Tell me how this makes sense.

DD is almost 7 months old. I've been pumping at work now for 4 months (3x/day, about 20-30 minutes each time). I've always pumped just what she needed for the next day, and used to get all of it while I was at work so that I never had to take the pump home. That was about 10-12oz.

The last few weeks, DD has been drinking more (about 14oz) with the nanny because her digestion is functioning better since I started my elimination diet. She's more comfortable eating more. So I need to pump more. I wasn't pumping enough just at work, so I started bringing the pump home, which I HATE. I take public transit and walk to/from the train, and I pick DD up after work, so I have to carry her, her diaper bag, my purse/bag with all my milk in it and a pump. And walk and get us on/off the train during rush hour.

Also I have a hard time, mentally, pumping at home. When I pump at home I hardly get anything. I've tried pumping at night. I've tried pumping first thing in the morning. I seriously get about an ounce every time, which is low for me since I still have oversupply. Also DD nurses very frequently when we're at home - like every hour - and I can't find the time to pump at home when I have to nurse her that often and still eat and shower and get ready for work. I end up all and

So anyway. Since I started pumping at home over a week ago (I try to do it once in the evening and once when I first wake up), I have found I get LESS when I pump at work. I thought that after a few days my supply would increase from extra pumping, but now when I'm at work I'm barely pumping 9 or 10 ounces total and I used to get 12 ounces without even trying.

I've tried relaxing, reading a book, looking at pictures and videos of DD on my phone, breast compressions, etc. but none of it has helped. This doesn't make any sense to me. I'm pretty sure the whole thing is just mental, because when I pump I see the milk coming out, but it's SLOOOOOOW and I'm sure if I could pump for 60 minutes each time, I would get all the milk I need. But I'm at work, and even 30 minutes each time is pushing it. Oh, also, I do still get letdowns while pumping... usually 2, which is what I've always gotten while pumping.

Any thoughts? Sorry if I sounded all rant-y.
    Stephanie
    Proud mama to Aya born at home Oct. 2010
    and managing dietary sensitivities, OS/OALD and our lipase issues seem to have magically corrected themselves
    and at work full time
    and so always

Default Re: Pump more and get less??

Do you think your period is coming back? And are you drinking enough water?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Post Re: Pump more and get less??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Do you think your period is coming back? And are you drinking enough water?
    I don't really think AF is coming back, but I can't be certain. A couple days ago I had what I thought could be mucous from ovulation, but it was only that one time and I'm not otherwise charting. I was kind of hoping that with DD nursing so frequently at night, I didn't have to worry about AF yet.

I'm probably not drinking enough water... I get lazy and sometimes just not thirsty. I should do it anyway though, so I'll get on it.

I forgot to mention in my first post that the one day I didn't pump in the morning, this past Monday, I pumped 13oz at work with no problem. So that's why I thought it seems like if I don't pump at home, I get more at work.
    Stephanie
    and managing dietary sensitivities, OS/OALD and our lipase issues seem to have magically corrected themselves
    and at work full time
    and so always

I had a really hard time pumping at home when Lilah was a baby too. I don't know why, it was just something mental and it didn't work very well for me. Is there any way you can squeeze one more pumping in at work?

Also, you said you have oversupply... perhaps your supply has finally evened out and it will take some time to pump more milk out. That happened with me when Lilah was around 10 months.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Also, you said you have oversupply... perhaps your supply has finally evened out and it will take some time to pump more milk out. That happened with me when Lilah was around 10 months.
    Were you block nursing with Lilah when your supply evened out? I'm still block nursing Aya (but not block pumping... I pump both sides), but she seems to be satisfied with my supply so I haven't lowered the blocks or tried offering both sides. That could just be because she nurses in short, frequent bursts though.
    Stephanie
    and at work full time
    and so always

I can't remember when I stopped block nursing Lilah. I don't think it was very long, I switched to one sided nursing. I one-side nursed with Lilah almost the whole time she nursed. But, I guess it was probably still roughly in 2 hour blocks. Memory isn't what it used to be.

I am trying to switch to one sided nursing with Trixie right now, but still get green diapers if I don't block feed for 3 hours... she's 3.5 months old though.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ayas.mama View Post
    I don't really think AF is coming back, but I can't be certain. A couple days ago I had what I thought could be mucous from ovulation, but it was only that one time and I'm not otherwise charting.
    I'd check a pregnancy test if it doesn't get better soon. JenO = broken record, but what happened w/ me was I was getting less and less output despite increasing my pumping. It's the only thing that made me POAS, b/c my daughter is a, um, one-hit wonder, if you know what I mean
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I'd check a pregnancy test if it doesn't get better soon. JenO = broken record, but what happened w/ me was I was getting less and less output despite increasing my pumping. It's the only thing that made me POAS, b/c my daughter is a, um, one-hit wonder, if you know what I mean
    Well... if I was preggo, it would be a surprise because we used a condom the last time we had sex, which was a week and a half ago. Not that that is 100% fool proof, but... pretty sure I might die if I was preggo.
    Stephanie
    and at work full time
    and so always

I just wanted to say I feel your pain about dragging the pump and milk around on public transit, along with your work bag and everything else. It makes me so tired. I have 2 pumps now-- one I leave at work and one at home.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lawyer.mama View Post
    I just wanted to say I feel your pain about dragging the pump and milk around on public transit, along with your work bag and everything else. It makes me so tired. I have 2 pumps now-- one I leave at work and one at home.
    Do you have the Medela PISA? If so, I think you can take the pump out of the bag and carry just the pump.