Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need weaning advice/sympathy

Default Re: Need weaning advice/sympathy

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pianosinger View Post
    Way too much to respond to everything individually...thanks for all the input so far, though, it is all helpful.

Someone suggested doing dishes/cleaning during naps and bedtime. Problem is, DS really fights his naps, and some days doesn't nap at all. We start bedtime by 8 or 9 PM, but DS fights us the entire time (asking to nurse constantly along the way), and we're lucky if he's asleep by 11.
    21 months is something to be proud of! Reading this though maybe your problem is sleeping related rather than the actual nursing? I am just offering another perspective just in case you're and he are not quite ready... I am reading the No-Cry Sleep Solution right now, so I am really quite obsessed with sleep LOL. Maybe if you could reduce these nursings for sleep it may help? The biggest thing though is that you are naturally tiring of this, so something has to change.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I cannot sit down without her wanting to nurse. Busy busy busy. If she cries and cries while I am busy then I know she really has a need to nurse.

Laundry and dishes I do while she is fussing if they need to get done. She is fine with that unless she is super tired.
    We went through this too. And even when they aren't nursing they still fuss about nothing and everything when you are trying to do stuff
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

It sounds like both of you are in a difficult place right now. I just wanted to agree with the other moms that having your dh help will make a big difference. Early on I forced dh to give ds a bath and put on pajamas, he (dh) whined about it for months, but now it is their special time together. Ds cries when I have to give him his bath. I know my dh too feels like when he gets home he just wants to wind down and not help, but it really is not fair to you.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Joe is about half-and-half these days. But he goes to sleep so easily on the days he doesn't nap. Yesterday he came to me around 7:40 and made the sign for "sleep"! I'm pretty sure my jaw just dropped. Anyway, that was on a no-nap day. It can be really hard, but some babies don't need a nap every day.
    Yeah, I think this is my DS's thing, too. He has such an odd sleep schedule. Like, yesterday morning he slept in until almost 10, so then he didn't take a nap all day, and was actually in bed (though, he did fall asleep nursing that time) at the unheard-of hour of 8 PM. But then, this morning he was up at 6 AM, and took a nap from 3-5:30, and now he doesn't want to go to bed...
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Yeah, I think this is my DS's thing, too. He has such an odd sleep schedule. Like, yesterday morning he slept in until almost 10, so then he didn't take a nap all day, and was actually in bed (though, he did fall asleep nursing that time) at the unheard-of hour of 8 PM. But then, this morning he was up at 6 AM, and took a nap from 3-5:30, and now he doesn't want to go to bed...
    I know people have differing ideas on waking up a child for a nap but I might consider getting a child up if he were napping after a certain time, say 4:30 pm if it would interfere with sleeping time.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    I know people have differing ideas on waking up a child for a nap but I might consider getting a child up if he were napping after a certain time, say 4:30 pm if it would interfere with sleeping time.
    I have no problem waking Joe up if he falls asleep too late or sleeps too long, but sometimes it's HARD. Like, he won't wake up! Our biggest issue is Joe's tendency to fall asleep around dinnertime if he skips his nap. So I won't nurse him for more than a few minutes around that time, or he'll conk out.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Way too much to respond to everything individually...thanks for all the input so far, though, it is all helpful.

Someone suggested doing dishes/cleaning during naps and bedtime. Problem is, DS really fights his naps, and some days doesn't nap at all. We start bedtime by 8 or 9 PM, but DS fights us the entire time (asking to nurse constantly along the way), and we're lucky if he's asleep by 11.

Momma how do you deal with this? I would be stabbing myself in the eye if my children were up this late. I'm sort of skimming through this thread so I apologize if I'm repeating other posters.

How long is he napping for? I wonder if he is napping too long and so it keeps him up this late at night?

And at 21 months, you HAVE to set boundaries. Even if there are tears! You are the mommy and have to lead the way. It will be so much better in the end.

You have a lot of options. But at 21 months distraction is the best. Getting outside (regardless if your laundry and house goes to crap....) will work. Even if you do this for 2 weeks to establish a routine, so what!

You can try timing the sessions. He might understand. Tell him that you will sing a song and when you're done nursing is over. I am not sure this will work for 21 months though.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09