Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Urgent advice needed - please read!!!!

Unhappy Urgent advice needed - please read!!!!

My son Ethan is 5 weeks & 3 days old.

We had an absolute nightmare day with him yesterday, he just cried on & off all day with typical colic symptoms. The one thing worrying me the most though is he isn't feeding well, he will latch on & suck for a minute & then pull off screaming That happened all day even after a bath where he fed for 2 minutes & then crashed out until 10 last night.

I tried to feed him at 10 & surprise he was back to feeding okay but didn't take much of a long feed..only 5/10 minutes compared to the 20/30 minute normal feed & he soon fell back to sleep so we all went to bed. Then instead of waking me up at 1am for his usual feed he slept right through until 4am which is so unlike him. I changed his nappy before feeding him & it was bone dry but he had done a poo (TMI)

Another short feed and back to sleep until 6.30 where he woke while we were getting up & was sick all down his babygrow from his 4am feed - This again is not like him.

I changed his nappy at 7 and it was wet thankfully & again he took a short feed.

Then ever since then he has been fussing at feeds again, pulls off the breast constantly and will only take 5 minutes max.

Why do you think this could be? Do you think it is wind/colic and maybe something I have eaten. I can't really think of anything I have eaten that would affect him apart from lots of chocolate over easter & then the night before last I had a sweet chilli pizza but it wasn't overly spicy but did have peppers on it??

Help? Surely he must be hungry after not feeding properly for over 24 hours now. xx

Default Re: Urgent advice needed - please read!!!!

That is tough. He is feeding a bit and producing some wet and poopy diapers which is good. I would just keep track of the feedings and diapers today to see if there is any improvement. you could call your dr if you are nervous at all.

Do you have a sling? I also lay down with my son and just nurse when hes getting overstimulated or is overtired. That may help. Here is a link for some ideas on why babies fuss and how to calm them.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/t051200.asp#T051203

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.

Sorry I forgot to add this website about fussing at the breast:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

Also, I believe there are no foods you should really avoid. "gassy" foods dont affect your milk, its what goes into your blood stream:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-foods.html

Five weeks is prime time for the onset of colic, unfortunately. I remember thinking, what happened to our lovely happy baby?? The behavior you are describing - crying, fussing at the breast, etc. - is textbook. What I would say is, if your baby cries for significant periods at all times of day, not just evenings, you might want to take him to the doc for a quick check. He might have reflux, which can cause babies a lot of pain around eating. There are medications that can help.

Usually mom's diet has no effect on how gassy the baby is, unless the baby is dairy-intolerant, sometimes eliminating dairy can make a difference, but don't jump to conclusions. Remember, crying a lot is normal for this age, and usually not a sign of anything seriously wrong. It's just your baby waking up to his surroundings.

Swaddling, bouncing, swings, and baby wearing are all great methods for soothing a fussy baby. I remember Joe going through a phase where he really fought the breast, but as long as the diaper output is normal, the baby is getting enough food. Hang in there, this passes quickly!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Have you thought about going to the doctor to rule out an ear infection or something like that?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Have you thought about going to the doctor to rule out an ear infection or something like that?

I really don't think he is sick or has a ear infection as his temperature is perfectly normal.

I spoke to my health visitor yesterday and she seems to think it is severe colic.

Yesterday was another bad day, particularly last night where he howled the house down & point blank refused to feed so I expressed a bottle for my husband to try him and he downed 2 1/2oz then through the night he fed but not massive feeds. I fed him at 6.30 this morning myself and then expressed another bottle for his next feed where he had 3 1/2oz and again he downed the bottle off my husband.

People keep asking me if my milk is coming out too fast for him but I know it isn't as I have a lopsided boob issue where one side produces way more than the other, and he pulls off both sides..even the bad side. Where I get wet breast pads when I let down on my good side my breast pads are always bone dry on the bad side.

So I do think colic, when Ethan cries he does sound in real pain bless him :-(

My eldest son actually had reflux, so bad he brought up loads of his feeds & had to have infant gaviscon in his bottles. (I only fed him myself for a month due to mastitis). I had wondered if that might be affecting Ethan but although Ethan does get sick sometimes it's not always & that was the main symptom for Ryan x

x

Mama, if it were colic there would be NO wondering if it were. Also, you might find it more helpful to think of it as 'the hurting baby' rather than colic.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/t051300.asp

Really take a look at that link! It's excellent. Joe'sMom, Dr Sears says crying by 3 weeks is colic, so 5 weeks is late.

I can't more highly recommend you try babywearing asap. Babywearing for a total of 3hrs a day that wasn't in response to crying (just a routine to babywear, rather than only picking up when crying) has been shown to reduce crying by 42% (got that from Dr Sears' section on babywearing). It can help immeasurably. Also the crying diary helps pinpoint triggers. But if LO is in full tilt how about trying t take him out for a walk? Just a change of scenery and out in nature can help.

I'm not a reflux expert but it could be reflux. Check out that avenue too.

It will pass
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?