Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One week from first baby c section...unsure how to start feeding

Default Re: One week from first baby c section...unsure how to start feeding

I think you've gotten terrific advice from the PPs regarding nursing. You can do it, Mama!

Just a question: why a c-section? Sometimes they're unavoidable and for the best- situations that come to mind are placenta previa, or a baby in the transverse breech position at the time of birth, or a large fibroid blocking the cervix- but sometimes moms are told that they should have a c-section when that isn't the only or even necessarily the best option. This isn't meant as a snarky comment on your birth options, though! Sometimes there really is no better option.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think you've gotten terrific advice from the PPs regarding nursing. You can do it, Mama!

Just a question: why a c-section? Sometimes they're unavoidable and for the best- situations that come to mind are placenta previa, or a baby in the transverse breech position at the time of birth, or a large fibroid blocking the cervix- but sometimes moms are told that they should have a c-section when that isn't the only or even necessarily the best option. This isn't meant as a snarky comment on your birth options, though! Sometimes there really is no better option.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I have had two c-sections due to two breech babies. Stubborn little buggers

I think knowing ahead of time that you will have surgery will do a lot to help you prepare for breast feeding. Many of the articles you read online will refer to women who had emergency sections, which carry a whole host of other problems, on top of which comes difficulty breast feeding. Knowing ahead of time what to expect makes all the difference - well, to me it does anyway.

A few things:
    1) You will get fluids before your surgery. Sometimes over 2-3 liters. This will "artificially" inflate your baby's birth weight, so that when the normal weight loss occurs, it may reach over that magic 7-8% number that so many doctors freak out about. My first baby lost 10% of his body weight, my second 12% of hers. Both were FINE; neither had jaundice; pees and poops were fine. Well, with my daughter, my milk didn't come in until day 5, so day 4 she got a little dehydrated, but I just kept nursing and her weight came up fine - she gained 9oz in 3 days, actually . Point being, don't let anybody push you around to supplement your baby unless there is an ACTUAL problem, not a "might be" problem.

2) The football hold is your friend. I never did the "laid-back" nursing thing that Karen spoke of, but I've heard good things about it as well. In the hospital, you are going to need LOTS AND LOTS of pillows. Just ask them for extra, and pile them up on both sides of you. I felt like I was in a little cocoon. I seriously had to have like 10 of those flat hospital pillows to be able to have my baby high enough for nursing. You want to have your back straight, and maybe partially reclined; you don't want to have to hunch over AT ALL. It will hurt your incision.

3) Get ready to ask for help. Lots of it. I'm the kind of person who HATES to ask for things, but I got right the heck over it. You are going to want your husband/partner/mom/whoever to bring you the baby, change the baby's diaper, bring you water/snacks, help you get out of bed/couch/chair, etc. Take your doctor's advice about rest SERIOUSLY. If you try to do too much too fast, you will be in a lot of pain, which will necessitate taking more pain meds, which will make your baby sleepy. Often if I tried to do too much, I wouldn't feel the pain until afterwards; at the time, I'd be all, this is fine, I can do this - when I really shouldn't have.

4) This may sound like a contradiction to the above, but TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS. You want to stay ahead of your pain, especially while you are still in the hospital and recovering from surgery. By the time I got home, I didn't need many of the narcotic pain meds, but while I was still in the hospital I did.

5) Others may disagree, but I spent the full 72 hours in the hospital. I felt like that 3rd day of rest really helped.

If there's anything else I can think of, I will post it. Good luck! You can totally do this!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos