Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One week from first baby c section...unsure how to start feeding

Default One week from first baby c section...unsure how to start feeding

So I am new to this forum and am one week from my scheduled c/s with my first baby. I have no idea how to start feeding and have been getting more and more nervous since researching breast feeding. I have had so many women tell me how horrible it is and how much it hurts and I am just wondering what tips you have for starting feeding in order to keep on the right track. I have never wanted to formula feed and have always known I was going to breast feed. I just don't want to start out wrong and get discouraged.
    Any advice would be apprceiated! Thanks

Soon to be momma to a little boy!

Default Re: One week from first baby c section...unsure how to start feeding

Welcome and congratulations!

Breastfeeding is a commitment so all you need is determination and support, which you can find here.
    These forums are great for questions about anything.

I would definitely get the newest edition of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and start reading. You will love it. It is so helpful, I can't recommend it enough!

Watch some videos on getting the baby to latch on properly. Some of these are good:http://www.drjacknewman.com/video-clips.asp

A good website for general info is: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/index.html

Also Find out if there are LLL meetings or breastfeeding support groups in your area. You can go and watch other mothers nurse and get support.

If you struggle you can call a lactation consultant and have them come to you.

you're already a good mama!
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; April 27th, 2011 at 08:11 PM.

should I start pumping before hand? does it take longer for your body to start producing with a c/s? I am having mine at 39 weeks instead of 40. Will that affect my body's response? Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this

A c-section isn't the end of breast feeding. Just like any other birth, it's the beginning!
    Mother and Baby Friendly Cesarean Sections
    A mother’s dream of participating in the birth of her baby or holding her new born in her arms can come true despite a cesarean delivery.

An obstetrician in West London has been slowing down the procedure. The mothers are treated as other birthing women with massage and soft music and words of encouragement. The screen is lowered in order to let them see their babies being birthed while the infant is removed slowly from the womb. After his head is delivered, the rest of his body is left in the womb for several minutes. The squeezing of the womb on his chest imitates the trip down the birth canal in which liquid is squeezed from his lungs, preparing him for breathing. Meanwhile, the baby is still attached to the umbilical cord, as he would be during a vaginal delivery. Instead of being pulled quickly out of his mother’s abdomen, the baby has time to acclimate to his new surroundings.

Bonding is Essential
    Once he is fully delivered, the baby is placed to skin to skin on his mother’s chest. The importance of early skin-to-skin contact has been proven to stabilize the baby’s temperature, blood sugar levels and breathing. It facilitates bonding and breastfeeding and keeps mom and baby calm through the release of oxytocin. Despite this, babies born by cesarean sections are normally taken away for medical procedures.

"Assisted Cesareans"
    Taking involvement a step further, a doctor in Australia has begun “assisted cesareans” in which the mother births her baby. Following the birth of the baby’s head, the mother’s hands are guided to her baby, where she lifts him out of her womb and onto her chest.
    Though cesarean deliveries should not be chosen instead of normal birth, for those with no choice, cesareans can be a friendlier experience for both the parents and the baby.
    Is your hospital a part of the "Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative"? If not, ask for them to adhere to these standards for your baby's birth.
    http://www.unicef.org/programme/breastfeeding/baby.htm

So you have a real life story - my first daughter was born via emergency c-section. She was in the NICU for 8 days. Due to her condition, she needed to be started on formula. However, I was diligent.
    - I put her to the breast before every bottle feeding
    - I pumped after every bottle feeding (even though my milk didn't come in until day 4)
    - As I got milk we added it to the formula she got, until she was getting all breast milk and no formula at all
    - I got great support from a lactation consultant
    - By 2 weeks, we were exclusively breast feeding (she nursed to 17 months)

So you can have the "wrong" start and still be successful.
    Last edited by @llli*amysmom; April 27th, 2011 at 08:46 PM.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

no need to pump before

I had a C-section and other than reading up a lot on breastfeeding, I didn't do anything special. I nursed her right after the surgery when I was recovering in my room--the anesthesia actually makes it more comfortable than later! I nursed her a lot in the first days when I only had colostrum and my milk came in on the third day with no problems (I actually seem to have more than she needs).
    One thing that was nice is that when they were stitching me up and I was lying on the table, they brought my baby so that I could see her, and put her next to my nose so she could suck on it (she did!). So even though it wasn't immediate breastfeeding, she got a chance to practice her instinctive sucking (and I got a wonderful feeling).
    In the first few days, because of the incision, I nursed her lying down, on the side.
    Does your hospital have lactation consultants? They really helped me too.

good for you for "knowing" you wanted to BF. Lotsa GREAT mammas here w/TONS of experience. My 5th LO is 11wks and I come here FIRST with ALL my ?? for a good delievery, keep us updated
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

Congratulations!
    My first was born at 38 weeks 3 days via emergency c-section. He nursed like a champ within an hour of delivery. The only supply problems I had were due to OVERsupply.
    Even though you are having a c-section, make sure you have your birth plan written down when you go to the hospital. There is a lot you can do to help make the birth a great experience. Also, you may want to have two people there to support you. If your baby ends up having to go to the nursery for any reason while you are still in the OR or recovery, you can send one person with baby while another stays with you. For DS's birth, DH stayed at my side through the entire surgery. My mom (who was waiting outside the OR) was able to go with DS to the nursery. It helped tremendously to know he wasn't being sent off with strangers.

It is good you are thinking about this ahead of time! I knew I wanted to BF but assumed it was relatively easy. Then when I was wrong and had an emergency c-section, I didn't really get the help I needed. I think mostly because I was in a fog from the pain meds.

You can see on the thread from Shield to Breast that there are a few of us who had c-sections and then ended up using a nipple shield. For me, my LO wouldn't really suck at all but did on the shield, which gave nlme the initial confidence that I was a good mom. I don't know if it was 100% necessary for any of us to use it, although it helped us out. The down side is weaning from it, but the upside is weeks of successful BFing.
    Anyway, my advice is to get help latching/sucking from someone who KNOWS how to help before accepting a shield. It could be a useful tool but it could just be beneficial to get more instruction. (can you guess what I wish I had??!?)
    Btw, my LO was 13 days early but Gestational age was 37 weeks. Born 5 13 lb, lost normal weight before going home & was 6 lb by day 4 (first dr appt). Getting enough milk was NOT an issue!! He started having much more success off the shield starting on his due date, so you might have about a week to wait thru. We are still stuck on the shield I believe only because I have not gotten hands on instruction on latching properly yet.
    Take your time recovering and use it to focus on Practicing BF skills!! Keep in touch!

How exciting (and scary, right?) to be so close to welcoming your new little one! Congratulations!

Probably the single most important thing to remember is "early and often." Put your baby to the breast as soon as possible after the birth. He may not be interested in nursing right away, but skin-to-skin contact even by itself can help get things off to a good start (there's an article in Breastfeeding Today about the benefits of skin-to-skin contact, p. 6).

And then nurse as often as you both are able and willing to. You don't need to worry about if he's hungry, just nurse anytime you can get him to take the breast.

You might take a look at this video and article about "laid-back breastfeeding" for ideas about to nurse comfortably after a c-section.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--