Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it oversupply??

Default Is it oversupply??

Hi...I am trying to figure out if our problems are caused by oversupply.My DS is almost 4 weeks old. At around 2 weeks of age he started getting very gassy and fussy between feedings. At first I thought it was my diet. Then we developed thrush. And I read thrush can cause gassiness and fussiness. So I thought it was that. But a few days ago his poops turned green. I also noticed that sometimes he makes a LOT of gulping sounds when nursing. He also sometimes still seems hungry after eating. I started 2 hour block feeding yesterday..but all thats done is cause engorgment and leaking. I just cant tell if he's getting hindmilk or not!I've been waiting and waiting since he was born for the mustard yellow poops. After the meconium and transitional poops, he was passing orangey/yellow seedy poops. Now it's olive green and still seedy. BTW...where DO the seeds come from?

Default Re: Is it oversupply??

Hi Jennifer,
    Congratulations on the birth of your new son! It is amazing how one little person's bowel movements can cause you such concern, isn't it?

First of all, some variation in the color of baby's stool can be normal. Green or orange can be within the range of normal if all else is fine. Consistency can also vary, and unless there is another cause for concern, is not something to necessarily worry about.

But, what I hear from you is that ds has become more fussy and gassy, and was having orange stools, but now they are olive green. Since things were going ok and now you notice some other concerns besides color, you may wish to try a few more things.

Before I give you some ideas let me ask you this: Has anything changed recently for you or ds? Anything at all? Family situation? Medications?

Also, have you checked out this resource? http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    It has lots of information about oversupply. I am wondering if there are other symptoms that you and/or ds have that go along with oversupply.

You mentioned trying block feeding for 2 hours blocks of time. Block feeding typically helps moms and babies in this situation, but it can take some time. Some moms do find that they have to increase the blocks of time. If, after trying the 2 hour block for at least 4 days, you don't feel a noticeable change, you can try 3 hour blocks. Some moms have to go even longer.

You mentioned engorgement and leaking between feedings. This cannot be pleasant, I'm sure! As the above article explained, between feedings you can express *just enough* milk from the unused side for comfort. No more than 20-30 seconds worth. Any more will tell your breasts to make more, which is what you don't want! It may take you a couple of days to adjust to this plan. But I wouldn't count it out yet. Give it a little more time!

Let me know what you think.

hi kate...thanks for your response. the only thing thats changed in the last week is that we are both being treated for thrush, with nystatin suspension. the only other symptom of oversupply is that i do notice he often gulps loudly during feeding sessions. since i started block feeding, he does seem to sleep longer between feeds...but he's still quite gassy, especially at night.

Hi Jennifer,
    I'm sorry I didn't notice that you had responded. How are things going? Any changes? Poop color still the same?

How is the thrush?

Thrush can cause babies to be fussy and gassy. Here is a good article on thrush:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov98p91.html