Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The cereal dilemma

Default The cereal dilemma

My husband finds a way to suggest (DAILY) putting cereal in a bottle (with breastmilk) before bed so the baby will sleep through the night & won't wake up starving. I am not a big fan of the idea & have been adament about no cereal. He asks me why and I can't seem to come up with concrete reasons. The baby (3 months) has been sleeping through the night (at least 6 or 7 hours) for the last month, which I think is phenominal...He does wake up hungry (don't we all?) but my husband isn't even here so I don't understand why it's such a big deal to him DH keeps telling me that so and so (insert family member/friend here) put cereal in the bottle at (2 months, 3 months, whatever) & their kids turned out fine I have read that there isn't any real nutritional value to cereal, but other than that what can I tell my husband to get him to back off?
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover

Default Re: The cereal dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duggysmom View Post
    My husband finds a way to suggest (DAILY) putting cereal in a bottle (with breastmilk) before bed so the baby will sleep through the night & won't wake up starving. I am not a big fan of the idea & have been adament about no cereal. He asks me why and I can't seem to come up with concrete reasons. The baby (3 months) has been sleeping through the night (at least 6 or 7 hours) for the last month, which I think is phenominal...He does wake up hungry (don't we all?) but my husband isn't even here so I don't understand why it's such a big deal to him DH keeps telling me that so and so (insert family member/friend here) put cereal in the bottle at (2 months, 3 months, whatever) & their kids turned out fine I have read that there isn't any real nutritional value to cereal, but other than that what can I tell my husband to get him to back off?
    Cereal is a processed food. Any food that's in a box has to have preservatives in order to make it last long and in a box, otherwise how could manufacturers achieve such results?

It's a not a whole food, period. In some infants these additives might upset their tummy. Plus, the grain that is used is stripped of all nutritional value in order to make it to the consistency a baby can chew it.

Whole foods are better, for everyone. My personal choice is not eating cereal bc everytime i do, my body FEELS like it doesnt get anything out of it ( i feel blah for a while). But it's my personal choice. In all even cereals for grown ups arent as great as their advertising claims it to be. It's all in the marketing peeps
    Last edited by @llli*usamom; April 27th, 2011 at 05:27 PM.

Three months is quite young for any type of solid (cereal included). It can actually constipate your LO and/or upset his delicate digestive tract.

As for your DH saying something every day, I would be willing to bet that someone is giving him an earful about how they gave their baby cereal, and it magically made him/her SSTN.

When he starts that stuff about how so and so's baby had cereal at (insert month), you could always tell him that that's fine for their baby but that it's not happening for yours.

I would add, aside from the good reasons not to give cereal provided by the pps, that cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard.

Also, and this is just my opinion, once you have that hopefully final discussion with your dh, telling him all the wonderful reasons why you won't be giving cereal.... if it were me, I would also tell him end.of.discussion and that his constant nagging about it is reminding you of <insert annoying person's name here>.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

Let's assume you put 2 tbsp of rice cereal in the bottle. That would be 20-30 calories. Let's bump that up to 4 tbsp, b/c I've heard of people putting 1tbsp per ounce, even though that seems totally gross to me. So 40-60 calories. Your husband can't honestly think that those extra 40-60 calories is going to magically make your baby sleep through the night, which he already is if he's sleeping 6-7 hours.

And of course he wakes up hungry! He's a baby! It's kind of their thing you know?

If he wants a personal anecdote, a good friend of mine works nights. When she first went back to work, her husband had a really hard time getting her to sleep without mom. Just wasn't having him, the pacifier, or anything besides the boob. They decided to try putting cereal in her bottle (which I advised against). Guess what? Not only did it not work (and they tried it for several nights), it gave her bad tummy aches.

I went through this with my son's daycare for a little while, until they realized I wasn't budging. It makes me
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I think that fact that it's a big fat choking hazard is a good one. I also pretty much pull the end of discussion line with stuff like that.

This link has some pretty good one liners you can throw at him as well.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    ...of course he wakes up hungry! He's a baby! It's kind of their thing you know?
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Yeah. Choking hazard and NOT recommended because it's a CHOKING hazard should really be enough.

Way too lazy for formula

Follow your gut, you know it's not best and you also have more realistic expectations of how babies sleep. 6-7 hours/night is seriously awesome for sleep for a 3 month old. To me it actually sounds like you have a really good sleeper, lucky you!

I get a lot of comments like this as well and I just completely dismiss them - it's very old fashioned and most doctors now advise strongly against it.