Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: trying to aviod plugged ducts

Default trying to aviod plugged ducts

I have had a small lump for about 3 weeks, when I asked my ob about it, she said it could be a plugged duct or breast tissue and to call if I get mastitis and left it at that. How can I tell what a plugged duct is before it gets painful?

Default Re: trying to aviod plugged ducts

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ilovemyzach View Post
    I have had a small lump for about 3 weeks, when I asked my ob about it, she said it could be a plugged duct or breast tissue and to call if I get mastitis and left it at that. How can I tell what a plugged duct is before it gets painful?
    So ... the lump isn't painful? Does it seem smaller after you nurse?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I am also curious about this. I often feel lumps that come and go, and they are not painful. I did have a plugged duct and it was very, very painful. It didn't go away after a feeding like the other lumps. I got rid of it in a couple of days with massage, ibuprofen and compresses. It felt hard to the touch and I could feel not only the lump but also the "line" of the duct all the way to the nipple. So, it felt very different to me.

Sometimes I massage the lumpy areas (not clogged) when my LO is feeding and they go away.

Lumps that come and go are normal. So are lumps that have smooth edges and feel rubbery.

If the lump stays the same size, doesn't hurt, feels attached to the breast (doesn't move when you touch it), not rubbery and smooth, and doesn't change for a couple of weeks, I might ask your OBGYN to check it out again (keeping in mind that many nursing moms develop painless milk cysts, which can create hard, firm, stationary lumps, so don't panic!).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.