Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it reflux?

Default Is it reflux?

I have a 2 1/2 week old who feeds about 8-10 times a day, has anywhere from 8-12 wet diapers and 7-8 soiled diapers which are mustard color and seedy. Although it seems like everything with her is going well she has started crying quite a lot after night time feedings - sometimes for hours from around midnight to 5am and won't calm down to latch again at any of the next feeding. She works herself up to snorting and gulping in air. Of course when this happens she seems to have more discomfort and sometimes gas/spitting up. Other times when she is relaxed she falls asleep after feeding and sleeps peacefully until the next feeding. I don't know if what she does is "normal". I have tried feeding her one breast, both breasts, burping her in between, etc, etc, etc. and there does not seem to be any patterns that I can figure out. This started making me think I should keep a food log or just go ahead and cut out certain foods.

On top of this, at her visit to the pediatrician we were told that she was not gaining enough weight. She was back to her birth weight at 10 days but according to the nurse at the pediatrician she still weighs the same as she did at 10 days. We noticed though the nurse did not take much time balancing the scale and also recorded her height to be an inch taller than she really is. They wrote that she has grown an inch in a week which doesn't seem accurate so we wonder if the weight is accurate? I feel like the weight gain might not be a real issue (based on diapers I thought she was feeding well) but the pediatrician wants to see her again in a week and wants me to feed more frequently than every 2 hrs and told me to put her on one breast for 10-15, stop her and switch her to the other. I was always told that the baby need to "finish" the breast and not to pull them off in order that they get the good milk and is full.

I guess I just wanted to ask for your thoughts... This pediatrician has made me doubt whether my baby is eating enough or if I am even doing the right thing with her. I have lost all confidence. Everyone else I have talked to or watched me nursing thought the baby was latching on ok and that the baby was doing well and that babies just go through stages and cry sometimes at certain times of the day/night.

Default Re: Is it reflux?

I don't know about the crying, but it sounds like your supply is fine and that your baby is doing fine. I would maybe try to get her to nurse more often during the day time if you're worried about the weight gain.

Is there something different about the nighttime feedings? Position? room?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Based on your baby's diaper output, it sounds like she's getting plenty to eat.

And what is it with pediatricians and the 10-15 per side advice? Mine said the same thing when she heard that Lillian was nursing for 20-25 mins per side at that age. I didn't comply, and I suggest you don't either if you feel like your baby really needs longer than that to nurse. It's *really* common for nursing to take a long time when babies are this young. She'll quicken up when she's ready to, but limiting time at the breast seems like a funny way to address a perceived concern about weight gain.

I'm not sure about the crying, either. Sometimes the little bitty ones just do that and, again, it will improve as time passes. It's always possible that she's reacting to something in your diet but, generally speaking, the symptoms would likely be spread throughout the day rather than localized at night. Reflux is also a possibility. Do you notice gulping and choking sounds when she's not upset? How about grimacing for no apparent reason and/or back arching?
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

I think at 2.5 weeks it *could* be reflux, but really you need to give it more time and see. Try taking the basic measures first. Take a break during a feeding for a burp. Keep baby upright after nursing (you can lay back with your baby on top) and just relax, instead of laying baby down flat. Also, try different holds to nurse. Can you do more of an upright hold?

The weight gain, well... I would not concern over it much yet. Give it until another appointment and do as you're doing. Feed baby on demand! If the baby is crying at, maybe try another feeding during that time.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

When we first came home I was laying down (I couldn't sit up and feed) and thought maybe she was getting too much air - now that I can sit up, I have much more control over her latch etc and have only been nursing sitting up but she still mostly cries at night (usually between midnight-5am). I have tried all kinds of holds and I burp during her nursing now, but this has only slightly alleviated the problem. After nursing I can't lay her on her back or she will wake/cry right away. She does arch her back that is why I wondered about the reflux? She does sometimes have white stuff in her mouth.

She usually nurses for 20-25 min. She does make gulping and choking sounds, again mostly at night. She often will be calm/asleep for a while and then out of no where she will make faces.

Like was mentioned, I think it is unlikely that it is an allergy to something I eat since she does not react the same in the day. I'm trying to think of everything/rule out anything though since the pediatrician has filled my head with all these ideas. I am disappointed that I have lost confidence in my own "motherly instincts" after our visit.

Thanks for the replies ladies - I already feel a little better!

Are you laying down for the night-time feedings?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Are you laying down for the night-time feedings?
    I used to lay for all feedings because I could not sit / get out of bed easily. Now that I am feeling better I am sitting for all her feedings. When she feeds laying down it seems like she does not latch well and gets frustrated easily filling herself with air. There is no difference between her day or night time feedings if that is what you are wondering.