Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipation?

Unhappy Constipation?

My son recently had to bouts with constipation.

I believe that it is from the "powdered Formula" that the dr has us add to the breastmilk. "they have us do this to see if it will help son gain weight, he is small and gains weight slowly."

Well about the same time they had us do this we also started some solids. WE did about 2 days of rice cereal and not very much of that. Then I said the heck with it and would give him some of my food. though it was very mushy or pureed baby food. such as apples or bananas even greenbeans and carrots. They were all stage one baby foods.

Well Since he was constipated the last time "this had never happend before" we slowed down on the food and would give him half the container a day. or if we gave him the whole 2 oz we would do half at each feeding and skip the next day.. Well I work every other day so for three days he is getting the powdered formula add to the breastmilk.

What can we do? I called the drs from work to have them call my husband because my poor little man was bad off. It was really hard on him, and my husband felt horrible. I dont want to have to stop breastfeeding because my son is on the small side and was going off his chart, so they said here add this to the breastmilk and see if it helps him gain weight and get a curve.

I am thinking of telling them that they need to reduce the amount of fomula they want me to add to my breastmilk? I just dont want them to think that I am a bad mother for not wanting to give my son the mixture they have come up with.

I will not subsitute my son on the days that I am off, especially since he seems to not have a problem, Or my supply seems fine the way it is except when im away from son i only can pump 2 maybe 3 oz at a time in a three hour period.

The dr has given my husband and I a tablet with charts and each day I have to fill out or my husband what time ds eats, if its 3 check 3 if he has "food" about how much" and if he gets a bottle how much in the bottle does he take. "the dr seemed to think that eating every two hours was a little much and ds should be sleeping through the night.. UGH i dont agree and alot of other dont.

But I dont want it marked down that Im not a good mother.. SO ladies I guess I need just some reassurance and to see what I can do to help my son.

I dont reallly want to have to start him on supositories..BTW HE IS 6 months old.

Default Re: Constipation?

Baby formula does have a tendency to constipate babies. I would ask your doctor if there's anyway that you could cut the formula out since you are starting solids as well.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Is it possible to post your baby's weight/age information? Is your pedi using the growth charts for breastfed babies?

The dr has given my husband and I a tablet with charts and each day I have to fill out or my husband what time ds eats, if its 3 check 3 if he has "food" about how much" and if he gets a bottle how much in the bottle does he take. "the dr seemed to think that eating every two hours was a little much and ds should be sleeping through the night.. UGH i dont agree and alot of other dont.
    i really don't agree either...and I find it pretty ignorant of your pedi about breastfeeding that he thinks eating every two hours is a little much, especially if he thinks the baby has weight issues. I would be feeding that baby day and night, every two hours, as much breastmilk as possible!! sleeping through the night is not as important I think as the weight issue, heck my child doesn't sleep through the night yet and she will be a year old this weekend!

to you and to your pedi for making you feel like you might be a bad mommy. you are a great mommy, trying to give your child the best food possible--your milk!

are you happy with this pediatrician, have you ever thought about changing to a different one?

eta: sorry i went off on a little rant about that. regarding the constipation issues--starting solids alone can do that, and it might take awhile to resolve. i have also heard formula powder can as well, so the mixture of both might be clogging up your baby. bananas and starchy foods can also be constipating. p foods, like pears, prunes, peaches should help move things along. a really good food you can try especially to help with weight gain is avocado
    Last edited by @llli*oakdryad5; April 27th, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

My DD is almost 7 mo old, we're not doing formula at all but have been doing solids. Since starting solids, we've had issues with consitpation. We starting being sure to nurse a lot and give DD prunes. I agree w/ PP, maybe you could eliminate formula since you're doing solids. I'd also try your LO on prunes. It sure helps for us!