Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you tell coworkers?

Default Re: Do you tell coworkers?

When I took a break I always referred to it as going to be mommy and if I had to pump in a room without a lock I had a do not disturb mom at work sign. But if someone asked about the bag I said it was my pump no embarrassment. I call our lactation room by that name too. On the other hand I get kind of when my friend calls it "expression" and she is uncomfortable when I say pumping...Just make your peace with a word of phase and don't be embarrassed you are doing something with amazing rewards (for you and baby)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

There are a few moms at my work who use the "quiet room" to pump. It's a very small room, only one comfy seat and one plug, so we made up an informal daily schedule that no one ever has to use the washroom to pump. My afternoon slot is 2pm.

I was using my laptop for a team meeting presentation when my 2pm "PUMP!" alarm came up for all to see. One of my co-workers said "are you working out this afternoon?" and I said, "No, I'm lactating." (I said it confidently, but I was right in the middle of delviering my presentation, so I know my face went red) Someone said, "good for you" and that's the only time anyone said anything. I really like how no one acts likes it's weird or gross or anything like that.
    << Barbara >>
    First time mom to Baby Boy on April 13, 2010
    EBF & Cloth Diapering because that's what my mom did!!

If I'm here, I'm probably and typing with one hand, so please excuse the typos!

I work in a small office with 4 other people. So I couldn't really NOT tell anyone. So yes, they all know and are fine with it. I often have to use the conference room when my boss is in the office (we share an office). So I have to usually let most of them know I am using the room so they don't walk in on me (even though I put a sign on the door at the beginning they forgot and I got walked in on by everyone but my boss). It doesn't bother me at all now though.

Occasionally when the conference room is in use my boss will vacate our office so that I can pump. I'm so thankful it's never been suggested that I pump in the restroom.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*brl View Post
    I was using my laptop for a team meeting presentation when my 2pm "PUMP!" alarm came up for all to see. One of my co-workers said "are you working out this afternoon?" and I said, "No, I'm lactating." (I said it confidently, but I was right in the middle of delviering my presentation, so I know my face went red) Someone said, "good for you" and that's the only time anyone said anything. I really like how no one acts likes it's weird or gross or anything like that.
    that's awesome!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

yep i tell them what i am doing...no one has made a big deal out of it ..
    but i am also known to bring the baby to staff meetings that fall on my days off and nurse her, so they know i am pretty unshy about what my baby eats
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*brl View Post
    I love this!

Everyone in my office knows. I have a "scalding station" to set up when I get back...I talk about it openly to the point where they just laugh. Its so good to be open about it. It helps people who are unsure about themselves and their bodies.

I work in a call center and I have to use one of the private offices...sometimes a supervisor sees me going in there and starts to tell me those are interviewing offices or not for my use but I just politely let them know [ with my Medela on my shoulder ] that I already have permission to pump in there. They usually are the ones who feel uncomfortable and I just go in- lock the door- and do my thing!

We have a "Lactation" room at my work, so people where usually curious everytime I walked out of my "shared-office" with a backpack, they would ask me "oh your going home already?" and I would reply "Nope, going to pump milk for my baby" after a while they stopped asking. Also, surprising enough, most of my male co-workers, would say "Oh my wife breastfed our child, best thing ever!" others would just keep their mouth shut.

Good luck mommy!
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

I am very open with the fact that I breastfeed and pump at work, I place a sign on the door with a little cow that says Pumping in Progress! Breastfeeding shouldn't be something to be ashamed or embarrassed about!