Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you tell coworkers?

Default Re: Do you tell coworkers?

I tell them when they ask. I have a backpack PIS so that draws their curiosity. Some are totally cool with it and others can't runaway fast enough while changing to various shades of red. I must add that only men have asked me about . The president of the company asked me if I was nursing and I told him I was. He told me what a difference it made and that his kids were never sick. I thought it was really cool to have a man be so pro-BF
    DS was born June - 2010
    and with lots of help and support from my hubby
    Ready to pump wean!!

I told all of my coworkers shortly after I got back from leave, when I decided I was just going to pump in my office, to explain why the door was closed. I also have to go through security (federal building) every morning and at least once a week one of the U.S. Marshalls asks me what the pump is when he sees it under the xray machine. I usually say "breast pump" loudly, then chuckle as I walk away because the poor guy is inevitably razzed by his coworkers, who say things like "don't you remember from last week?" and "shouldn't have asked, man." Usually it shuts people up faster than anything. One guy now always asks, "so how is the little one doing? keeping you up at night?" Kind of sad that there are not more pumps coming into the building because I'm not the only working mom with a young baby there.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    I'm doing okay. It's incredibly hard leaving my baby in the morning, but I am coping the best I can. I was really pleased with my pumping output yesterday - I didn't have to send any formula to daycare today! He had a pretty good day yesterday, but he was happy to see me when I picked him up. I'm trying not to think about it too much when I am at work, so that I don't feel upset all day long.
    so happy for you & LO on the no formula
    reading that just gave me a lil boost i needed I go back to work next week so... thanx
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

I worked at a company with *2* women (myself and one other) and about 75 men. Did some of them ask where I was going or what the new black bag in the fridge was? Certainly! And I proudly told them what I was doing and what it was for. But, surprisingly, most of them just knew what was going on. None of them ever made me feel uncomfortable. I was always very proud of them for that.

No need to hide what you're doing and if you're confident in yourself and the wonderful gift you're giving your baby, the less "weird" your coworkers will be.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*raidensmamma View Post
    I go back to work next week so... thanx
    Good luck!!!

great thread, have been reading with interest as I'm going back to work in a week. LO is still EBF at 6.5 months and even though I have a 50-60h pw job I have decided to pump and keep her away from formula, let's see how it goes. HR has advised me I can use the first aid room to pump and have installed a fridge and hand sanitiser there for me, I have my cooler bag ready so let's see how it goes. I am sure the co-workers will wonder about my breaks as I have a job where we hardly ever leave our desk, so will report back. I will definitely tell anyone who asks though.

Good luck sanam2010.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I work with a bunch of guys, often in a field setting and lots of farm type folks. I don't tell the guys, I just pump in my office. I've told most of the women because they've all been there for the most part. But I'm reallly not comfortable talking to the guys about it and I think they'd be pretty uncomfortable with it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sanam2010 View Post
    great thread, have been reading with interest as I'm going back to work in a week. LO is still EBF at 6.5 months and even though I have a 50-60h pw job I have decided to pump and keep her away from formula, let's see how it goes. HR has advised me I can use the first aid room to pump and have installed a fridge and hand sanitiser there for me, I have my cooler bag ready so let's see how it goes. I am sure the co-workers will wonder about my breaks as I have a job where we hardly ever leave our desk, so will report back. I will definitely tell anyone who asks though.
    Good luck! I'm sure everything will work out great. I enjoyed my pumping breaks. Take a moment to relax, read a magazine, browse the internet or whatever you can. I pumped for 15 months and was very sad when it came time to pump wean. I felt naked when I didn't have to carry my big black bag to work anymore.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

I work in a school where there are only 2 men. I used the cook's office to pump, so I had to tell her what I was doing, but she was totally fine with it. My teacher's aide knew what I was doing because I had to leave her with the children and she was amazingly supportive. I told my principal initially what I planned to do and he turned about 3 shades of red and didn't say anything else to me about it. It didn't really effect him; I told the people that were directly effected by it. to you! This is just a short time and it is very intense and a lot of work, but then it will be over and you will be able to look back and realize what a great thing you have accomplished! Don't give up!
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting