Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you tell coworkers?

Default Do you tell coworkers?

Today is my second day back at work and I'm feeling a little awkward about pumping! We have a shower room in my office, where BFing mothers can pump. I asked my supervisor if I could move a table in there, so that I could have my laptop at the same time (thus, not having to take breaks in order to pump). He was like "Is this for some motherhood thing?" and when I said yes, he didn't say anything else. But then, another coworker saw us and asked what we were doing... and today, someone else asked why I keep taking my laptop into the shower room. I have been quietly telling them that I am pumping... but it's kind of awkward because they are men! What do you ladies do? Are you open about it or do you try to keep it discreet?

Default Re: Do you tell coworkers?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    Today is my second day back at work and I'm feeling a little awkward about pumping! We have a shower room in my office, where BFing mothers can pump. I asked my supervisor if I could move a table in there, so that I could have my laptop at the same time (thus, not having to take breaks in order to pump). He was like "Is this for some motherhood thing?" and when I said yes, he didn't say anything else. But then, another coworker saw us and asked what we were doing... and today, someone else asked why I keep taking my laptop into the shower room. I have been quietly telling them that I am pumping... but it's kind of awkward because they are men! What do you ladies do? Are you open about it or do you try to keep it discreet?
    No one ever really asked. They all just assumed that I was leaving because I was walking around with my big bag. I think word will get around and soon they will stop asking. Just tell them you are multitasking
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I was pumping as I read your post.

Be confident in what you are doing. I'm lucky that I can pump in my office, but I don't have a lock on the door... I hang a sign and have a shower curtain pulled across if the sign doesn't stop folks.

When I was first pumping for Lilah, I was nervous or embarrassed about it too. But that went away pretty quickly. You're doing the most important thing in your day - making sure that your child will have milk while you are away. Be proud of that. And confident in it. And when someone asks you what you're doing - give them a big smile and tell them "I'm pumping milk for my baby." I bet you they won't ask again. And word will get around. They will stop asking.

How are you doing? Is pumping going ok otherwise? How is your baby doing while you're away? It's so hard, I know.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post

Be confident in what you are doing. I'm lucky that I can pump in my office, but I don't have a lock on the door... I hang a sign and have a shower curtain pulled across if the sign doesn't stop folks.

When I was first pumping for Lilah, I was nervous or embarrassed about it too. But that went away pretty quickly. You're doing the most important thing in your day - making sure that your child will have milk while you are away. Be proud of that. And confident in it. And when someone asks you what you're doing - give them a big smile and tell them "I'm pumping milk for my baby." I bet you they won't ask again. And word will get around. They will stop asking.

I briefly felt the same way in the beginning, but then I realized I was doing something really awesome, and that made things way better. I'm proud of it, these days! Give it time. You'll probably start feeling less awkward and more confident with each passing day
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

If you act like there's nothing weird or awkward about it they will follow suit (assuming they are professional and not creepy weirdos).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I was open about it. I was proud to tell people my baby didn't drink formula. If they have a problem with it, it is thier problem...NOT MINE. That's just me though. I'm like that. Most of the men in my office were fine with it or made jokes about it but that was it.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How are you doing? Is pumping going ok otherwise? How is your baby doing while you're away? It's so hard, I know.
    I'm doing okay. It's incredibly hard leaving my baby in the morning, but I am coping the best I can. I was really pleased with my pumping output yesterday - I didn't have to send any formula to daycare today! He had a pretty good day yesterday, but he was happy to see me when I picked him up. I'm trying not to think about it too much when I am at work, so that I don't feel upset all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    If you act like there's nothing weird or awkward about it they will follow suit (assuming they are professional and not creepy weirdos).
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    I'm doing okay. It's incredibly hard leaving my baby in the morning, but I am coping the best I can. I was really pleased with my pumping output yesterday - I didn't have to send any formula to daycare today! He had a pretty good day yesterday, but he was happy to see me when I picked him up. I'm trying not to think about it too much when I am at work, so that I don't feel upset all day long.
    It will get better mama. It's hard to believe, but it will.

And that's great you were able to pump enough.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Yep, after pumping for 2 babies at work (in a mostly male-dominated office work environment), I am not embarassed in the least and I am very open with my co-workers if they ask what I am doing. I just tell them proudly, "I'm pumping breastmilk for my baby so he can have my milk when we're apart." And that usually shuts them right up.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.