Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cavities from breastfeeding?

Default cavities from breastfeeding?

My youngest son just turned one. In a couple of his teeth he has cavities forming. He loves to nurse and we don't feed him sweets. Could it be the breastmilk or maybe I'm not taking in enough calcium for both of us? I'm afraid that if I take him to a pediatric dentist that will try to talk me into getting procedures done that I don't think he's ready for yet. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do?

Default Re: cavities from breastfeeding?

I'm moving this to extended breastfeeding, where I'm sure you'll find plenty of replies.

you might want to check out some of theese leven articles

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBdental.html

I recommend this group:
    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...oungkidsteeth/

Get xylitol infant gel right away and start using it. My dd has had dental issues and that group really helped. Kellymom has good info on cavities and bfing also:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

Remember- just because a dentist suggests or tells you you HAVE to do something doesn't mean you can't try another dentist. It took me a few tries, but now I love my dd's ped dentist and do trust her to listen to me, even though she has some more mainstream ideas.

HTH

Mel

Wink Re: cavities from breastfeeding?

I took my son to his first ped. dentist appointment about 2 weeks ago. And he didn't have any cavities. FOr that I was happy. ANd I did tell my sons dentist that I am still BF. ANd he din't in anyway try to tell me to stop. But to make sure that I was brushing his teeth every morning and night. Yes, he does nurse before bed. And usually will fall a sleep. And I told him htat I was not about to wake my son up to brush his teeth. He said that he did not expect me to do that. But to just make sure that I gave them a good brushing before hand. And we also do not give him candy or junk food. The calcium may help. Do you or your husband have bad teeth? I once read that bad teeth in your child could be from you. Rather that is true or not I don't know. I do know that my husband,his sister, and his mother have the worst teeth in the world. I on the other hand have a great set of teeth. I hope that my son has taken after me. I hope that this helps.

I don't give my daughter fruit juicy, and she has never had junk food (cakes, cookies, etc.). But, she loves eating fresh fruit. Can this contribute to cavities as well? I try to brush her teeth, but she puts up such a fight. I never feel like they are properly brushed.

My first son also had very bad teeth when he was young. His adult teeth seem to be pretty strong. My husband had horrible teeth when he was young but that was due to some medication he took when he was a baby (at least that's what they told his mother). My teeth are great, my second son's teeth are great. I guess he's just prone to them and maybe we'll just have to deal with it until he gets older. I'm more worried about putting off any dental procedures and if his cavities will become painful before he's old enough to have them done. And about the xylitol gel, do you have a brand that you could recommend and do you know where to get it. My mom owns a healthfood store and I looked through the catalogs and couldn't find any.

Thumbs up Re: cavities from breastfeeding?

jmjmom I feel your pain on the trying to brush teeth. My son put up a fight with me at first. And I would have to hold him down with my legs on top of his legs and arms. And forsfully brush him teeth. I felt that this was getting to traumatic for my son. So one night I started to brush his teeth, and I thought that I might try a new approach. So I put the tooth brush in his hand and put the toothbrush in his hand and I let him help me. And as I am brushing his teeth I also make funny sounds. And he thinks that is funny. Every since that night he has not fought me and he thinks that he is a big boy. Which he is. He is 15 months old. Maybe you could try this approach and it mught work for you. It has been great for us.

When should a baby/toddler make his/her first trip to the dentist?
    My dd is 13 months and has 4 teeth ...

I think they recommend the first visit be at age 3 -- it's hard to get a younger child to cooperate with an exam, I suspect.

--Rebecca