Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorgement & growth spurts

Default Engorgement & growth spurts

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for avoiding engorgement & plugged ducts after a growth spurt. I want to plan ahead and be proactive before, during, and after the 6-week growth spurt that's coming up (my newborn is now 4 weeks old).

After her 3-week growth spurt (one day of intense BFing), I got engorged for a whole week and had a plugged duct. It was not fun for me or for her (hard to latch on engorged breasts, my milk would shoot up and she would cough and sputter etc).

So now I that I'm aware of the issue I would like to avoid it or minimize it in advance.

Thanks!

(PS. I'm EBFing and I haven't yet pumped at all)

Default Re: Engorgement & growth spurts

Hmm, I'm not sure there's much you can do aside from hoping for the best. Now that your baby is older and your supply is more attuned to her needs, there's a good possibility that growth spurts won't result in engorgement. But lay in some cabbage leaves, JIC!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

When I've first woken up and baby wants to nurse, I hand express a few squirts (just for about 1-2 minutes) so that the super fast flowing milk will calm down just a little bit, but usually I only nurse during the daytime and pump around the night ect. If your baby sleeps through the night try getting up at least once to express or pump some milk so that your breasts are relieved and you can avoid the pain of engorgement/plugged ducts. Soya lecithin is very helpful as well I find, 1200 mg 2x daily if you are under 175 lbs and 3x daily if over, but it can make your milk flow slightly faster so again make sure you are expressing at least a bit here and there to counteract it but it is great at preventing mastitis ect.
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Thanks for the replies!

I really hope my body is more attuned now! Do cabbage leaves really work?

I will try the soy lecithin and the hand expression. My baby still wakes up every 2-3 hours during the night to nurse, but when I was engorged even that was a long time for my breasts (especially since I could only nurse on one at a time).

I think cabbage leaves work wonders. but you have to change them really regularly (like don't keep one in your bra for longer than,I dunno, 3 hours?) otherwise they can get really wilty and
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply