Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DD doesn't want EBM anymore

Default DD doesn't want EBM anymore

So this is interesting. Since I got laid off two months ago, I have been home with DD job hunting and whatnot. I obviously quit pumping at work. I got laid off almost exactly when DD turned one. I had planned to pump wean, but anyway...

I've been sending DD to daycare here and there - just a day or so a week. She went about two weeks ago and drank 7 oz of frozen EBM I sent with her. So, today I sent her to DCP again, and she only drank about 6 oz. DCP said she didn't really want it and that she mostly flung the bottles around and got her outfit wet. She refused an entire bottle of about 3 oz (which I guess I now have to toss. Doh).

DD came home and nursed like a champ. She was signing to nurse almost all evening and was hungry for it. She also refused solids at dinner, but she ate some oatmeal I gave her (I was thinking I wanted her to eat something so she wasn't up all night nursing like a fiend).

Anyway, it's just sort of interesting. I wonder if it's because it was in a bottle? So odd. I've been giving her a bottle of water now and then thinking that I don't want her to start refusing them, because if I send her with EBM I know it won't get wasted in a bottle (like it did today).

I guess I'll just send her with what I have when she goes to DCP, but I have probably 100 oz in the freezer still.

I guess I could donate to a local mama it if it turns out DD just won't drink it.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Default Re: DD doesn't want EBM anymore

DJ wouldn't drink any expressed milk after 10months. When I went back to work when he was 14months old he only would drink water in a sippy and solids. And then we nursed on demand while together.
    The last time I pumped to go to the spa for 8hours I had to pump 3 times to get the 6oz I left. And he wouldn't take it. He drank water all day and ate solids. And I just thought "I am never doing THAT again." And then the job I took the back room doesn't even have room for a Mircowave or Mini Fridge AND the whole place has cameras in it that hook to my Bosses lap top so...umm there was no question I would NOT be pumping when I went back.
    Donate!
    As long as she is still nursing on demand while together you are golden!

Way too lazy for formula

It's ok. Mine started refusing around 14 months, so that's when I knew it was ok to pump wean. I did not have enough stored to make a donation though. Heck, it makes it alot easier when you go out! You could also use it for cooking if you wanted to.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

At 14 mo I really wouldn't worry about a LO refusing to take EBM. Both my LO dropped taking a bottle on their own somewhere between 13 - 15 mo.

I'd do water in a sippy cup or straw cup and ditch the bottles all together.

And as said above - as long as she's nursing plenty with you all should be ok.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Since you have some in the freezer (and live in AZ and can't give it to me! ) can you mix it with cow's milk?

Or it's going to be summer soon! Breastmilk ice cream?

Nora wouldn't take a bottle past 13 mos or so either. But if you want to try to encourage her to drink it you might try offering it in a sippy or regular cup. It may be the bottle that she is refusing rather than the breastmilk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Nora wouldn't take a bottle past 13 mos or so either. But if you want to try to encourage her to drink it you might try offering it in a sippy or regular cup. It may be the bottle that she is refusing rather than the breastmilk.
    Just what I was going to suggest.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks, ladies! I may try some in the water bottle she likes.

Christine

my daughter went through a similar refusal about 13-15 months. I tried in her sippy cup, an open cup, a bottle...she just wouldn't take any. I made breastmilk pudding once and she ate one bite. Then later she got into it again. I tried to donate but they said that it had to be milk pumped from when my baby was 6 mos or younger. It is probably temporary but it is always nice to donate! I donated most of mine to a mom with low supply.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Katia, I will pm you. I have a ridiculous amount.

Christine