Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Surgery, BF, and Pumping?

Default Surgery, BF, and Pumping?

I'm having surgery on June 20th and want to make sure I have a good sized freezer stash (baby will be 8 months at time of surgery). I have a pump now that is fine for how much I use it, but I know won't cut it to build up my stash over the next couple months. I am thinking that I'll probably have to pump exclusively for a couple days while in the hospital.

I was going to rent a pump for the next couple months and it looks like my options are the Medela Symphony and Lactina Select. But now am thinking it may be more cost effective to buy a PIS. What are the major differences between the models? Is the Symphony that much better? Will the PIS work for me?

Thanks for the help!
    mom to my 2 Korean born miracles & 1 homegrown miracle
    wife to my Hero, my Marine
    2 x cancer Survivor since 2003 and 2009 and still kicking

Default Re: Surgery, BF, and Pumping?

I've never used a Lactina, only a Symphony, and it was awesome.

I also love my PISA; bought it for $210 from www.bestbuybaby.com. I highly recommend you google around online if you are going to buy; it will save you a ton of money.

The hospital pump shouldn't cost THAT much to rent - what price were you quoted, and by whom?

I may have missed this, but will you be able to use any of the milk you pump while in the hospital? If so, I'd consider renting one for just that time, but go ahead and buy a pump for use now.

Is your hospital combined peds/adult? If they have a NICU there, they may let you use theirs free of charge while there. You would only have to buy the kit.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I've never used a Lactina, only a Symphony, and it was awesome.

I also love my PISA; bought it for $210 from www.bestbuybaby.com. I highly recommend you google around online if you are going to buy; it will save you a ton of money.

The hospital pump shouldn't cost THAT much to rent - what price were you quoted, and by whom?

I may have missed this, but will you be able to use any of the milk you pump while in the hospital? If so, I'd consider renting one for just that time, but go ahead and buy a pump for use now.

Is your hospital combined peds/adult? If they have a NICU there, they may let you use theirs free of charge while there. You would only have to buy the kit.
    The Symphony would be $70 a month plus $250 deposit from the local medical supply store affiliated with one of the hospitals. That's my only choice for a local rental. I can go father away but the cost isn't any cheaper.

I'm still uncertain if I'd be able to use the milk while in the hospital. That is one of my questions for the doc. I would be able to use a pump from the hospital while there. But my fear is not having enough pumped prior for my time there. How much do I need to have stashed away for 2 days anyway?

I'd get a good double electric pump (like the PISA, but there are others) for use at home. It shouldn't take you too long. Most babies take around 25oz of milk in a 24hr period, ranging from 19-30oz per kellymom. I'll find the link and post it.

If you start pumping after one of your morning feeds, over time you will start making more at that time and should be able to save up 2 days' worth in no time. I'd pick the morning because that's when most mom's milk supply is highest. If your baby naps better in the afternoon, though, you could always do that instead.

If you find after a week or so that you are only saving 1-2 oz per day, then I'd go up to 2 or 3 extra pumping sessions. I would set a goal of being able to save 3-4 oz per day. 2 days x 30 oz (the high end) would be 60 oz; at 3 oz per day, it would take about 3 weeks to save up. So you have plenty of time.

Those rental rates seem a bit high, but whatever. You might like having a pump of your own
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I'd get a good double electric pump (like the PISA, but there are others) for use at home. It shouldn't take you too long. Most babies take around 25oz of milk in a 24hr period, ranging from 19-30oz per kellymom. I'll find the link and post it.

If you start pumping after one of your morning feeds, over time you will start making more at that time and should be able to save up 2 days' worth in no time. I'd pick the morning because that's when most mom's milk supply is highest. If your baby naps better in the afternoon, though, you could always do that instead.

If you find after a week or so that you are only saving 1-2 oz per day, then I'd go up to 2 or 3 extra pumping sessions. I would set a goal of being able to save 3-4 oz per day. 2 days x 30 oz (the high end) would be 60 oz; at 3 oz per day, it would take about 3 weeks to save up. So you have plenty of time.

Those rental rates seem a bit high, but whatever. You might like having a pump of your own
    Thanks! I have a Lansinoh pump and it's fine for occasional use, but for building my stash I know I need something better. I thought the rental rates were high too. But it doesn't surprise me since they are the only place in the area that provides them!