Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BFing 12 times in 24 hours. Ugh.

Default BFing 12 times in 24 hours. Ugh.

My DS is going to be 3 months at the end of this month. He was born at full term (9.5 lbs) and was great at learning to nurse. My DD (now almost 2yo), BFed for 14 months and she was also a very enthusiastic nurser. However, she did lots of feeds throughout the day and slept a straight 8 hours starting at 5 weeks of age. Now, my DS is approaching 3 months of age and he may have only once or twice gone longer than 2 hours without a feed.

So, now I'm feeding this little dude EVERY.TWO.HOURS.24.HOURS.A.DAY?!? Here's a few additional important tidbits:
    - He got a bad cold a few weeks back (heartbreaking) and my supply dipped as he wasn't eating as much. It's since gone back up as his appetite has returned.
    -I returned to work over a month ago. I pump and he bottle feeds well about 12-20 ounces in a 7 hour day.
    - He has been consistently waking every 2 hours since he was a newborn, no increase or decrease.
    - I've read Pantley's books with my daughter.

I recently read a BabyCenter article about 3-6 months old that said that most babies drop most of their nighttime feeds by 3 months of age. What?!?!? We need to get up to speed! He has not dropped a SINGLE feed AT ALL since he was born! Besides, I get zero sleep at night and still have to teach 60 kids the next day. I asked our pediatrician if it was wise to start sleep training. She explained that when he was in the womb he did not experience the sensation of hunger and since he is fed every 2 hours, he also is not really experiencing it that much. So, she says that my DS will be mad, but I can limit his nighttime feedings to every 3 hours to start with. We were going to try it this weekend. What do you guys think?
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

Default Re: BFing 12 times in 24 hours. Ugh.

My son is 15 weeks old and is still holding steady at eating every two hours as well

Yikes! I have another month of this to go?! So sorry....
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

That baby wise article was just completely fabricated out of Unicorn dust and things new mothers wish for. It's not really true. No breast fed baby ever stops eating all night by 3 months. Your first child also seemingly made of Unicorn Dust and Rainbow clouds. Anything 4hours or more IS considered STTN. And When they are so small they literally can't hold more than 2hours of breastmilk. Your child also sounds WAY too young to try any form of sleep training....I would just forget you read that article. And just know that ALL OF US have been where you are. We ALL fed our kids all night long, marathon and cluster fed through growth spurts and I woke every 45minutes to ever hour and half with MOST of my sons teeth. Thru the first two years. Not to scare you. But seriously that article wasn't based on anything real. Promise!

Way too lazy for formula

Forget that article you read on BabyCenter. Your baby's still so young, it's totally normal for him to still feed every 2 hours since breastmilk is so easily digestible. I wouldn't force him to feed every 3 hours if he's obviously hungry every 2 hours. From what I've learnt on this forum with my first DS, babies STTN when they are developmentally ready, just like with sitting up, crawling, walking, etc.

My first DS was a terrible sleeper (would wake up multiple times a night), but started STTN consistently after he turned 2 (not saying it'll take your DS that long to STTN). It wasn't anything that we did. He just did it on his own.

I feel you on the sleep deprivation mama
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Geez, my DD ate every 2 hours for over a year...and overnight was the same!

Only recently, in the past 6 months or so (she is now 2) has her nursing taken longer stretches, and overnights have gotten much better!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    That baby wise article was just completely fabricated out of Unicorn dust and things new mothers wish for.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

How many times per day a baby needs to nurse depends on a combination of factors -- not only how long it takes to digest the milk and how old the baby is, but also the mother's breast storage capacity and how much milk is available at each feeding. Some mothers have large storage capacities and their babies can go longer between feedings because there's a greater quantity of milk available at each one, others have smaller capacities and need to nurse more often. Usually it's best to go along with baby's nursing rhythm because it keeps things in balance.

I wonder, though, if you can't shift his routine a little. Could you try nursing more often in the evening before bed (like every hour or hour and a half)? Maybe if he got more of his 12 feedings in during the day/evening he could go longer at night.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    That baby wise article was just completely fabricated out of Unicorn dust and things new mothers wish for. It's not really true. No breast fed baby ever stops eating all night by 3 months. Your first child also seemingly made of Unicorn Dust and Rainbow clouds. Anything 4hours or more IS considered STTN. And When they are so small they literally can't hold more than 2hours of breastmilk. Your child also sounds WAY too young to try any form of sleep training....I would just forget you read that article. And just know that ALL OF US have been where you are. We ALL fed our kids all night long, marathon and cluster fed through growth spurts and I woke every 45minutes to ever hour and half with MOST of my sons teeth. Thru the first two years. Not to scare you. But seriously that article wasn't based on anything real. Promise!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yup, unicorn dust is exactly right. I think my daughter woke more at 4 months than at 2 because of teething and learning to sit up.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!