Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Afraid on how to pump wean and on how to wean a baby. Help

Default Re: Afraid on how to pump wean and on how to wean a baby. Help

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Solids are really only for playing with for the first year. Some kids really like solids, my older daughter didn't take to them until she was 14 months-ish.

I don't understand how much donated milk you're using. Aren't you pumping some of the milk you're supplementing with?
    In the beginning i had to use donated milk bc i wasnt making enough milk. So i'm still using that donated milk. I pump in between feedings (that sometimes the pumping sessions end up being after a feeding) so i still had to use the donated milk i started freezing my milk.

I meant to say my baby drinks about 1 ounce to 1.5 ounces per feeding, except the last feeding which is more like 2 ounces.

So for five feedings he drinks the first said amount. The 6th feeding he drinks the second said amount (2 ounces).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Have you tried crimping the SNS tube from time to time? You use the SNS to get him to the breast and suck until he motivates a letdown, and then you crimp and stop the flow. Baby continues to suck, but only from the breast, increasing supply and decreasing your reliance on the SNS.
    Yes I have but I’ve noticed if milk doesn’t come out he latches off quickly. So sometimes I have to let milk out. We have cut down on how much he used to drink. Before he was taking 2 even 3 ounces. Now it's to 1 to 1.5 ounces because the goat’s rue has been helping.

I keep asking about how much donated milk you're using because I'm wondering how short of meeting all your baby's needs you are.

So if he gets 1 ounce of supplement total for the day from your donor milk and the rest from milk you pumped - you're basically providing all the milk already and just need to cut down on pumping and let him start getting the milk out himself.

But if most of the milk you're supplementing with is from the donor milk, you would want to back off of pumping much more slowly.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I keep asking about how much donated milk you're using because I'm wondering how short of meeting all your baby's needs you are.

So if he gets 1 ounce of supplement total for the day from your donor milk and the rest from milk you pumped - you're basically providing all the milk already and just need to cut down on pumping and let him start getting the milk out himself.

But if most of the milk you're supplementing with is from the donor milk, you would want to back off of pumping much more slowly.
    I'm using donor milk for all feedings, but i see what you're saying bc (i'm understanding correctly, sorry my mind is not so clear in the am) the pumping i do in between feedings i could just offer the breast right? If so, i just might run into one problem, my kid is very active. He likes to roam around and when i offer the breast he might take it but even if something comes out he'll let go. The way i understand it, this doesnt help me produce or maintain my milk supply bc he doesnt empty the breast. That's one of the reasons i keep pumping. But i'm wrong, please educate me ladies I just dont want to decrease my supply that i've worked so hard on, specially since i've suffered from low milk supply since he was a month.

So what are you doing with the milk you are pumping?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Maybe we're not understanding eachother here.

Donor milk is milk from another mom. Expressed milk of your own isn't donor milk, it's your milk.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Maybe we're not understanding eachother here.

Donor milk is milk from another mom. Expressed milk of your own isn't donor milk, it's your milk.
    I know. I'm freezing my milk bc the donor milk that was given to me is the oldest (oct 2010). I rather use the oldest milk so it doesnt go to waste.

Oh, ok, I get it. How much are you pumping out during the day? 3 ounces 7 times?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Oh, ok, I get it. How much are you pumping out during the day? 3 ounces 7 times?
    I wish! From my left breast it's usually half an ounce. From my right between three fourths of an ounce to a whole ounce.

So you're using about twice as much in the SNS as you are pumping per day?
    Tracie

Mommy to

So you're using about twice as much in the SNS as you are pumping per day?
    I guess. I fill up the sns to the 2 ounce mark. He drinks 1 ounce to 1.5 ounces on top of what he gets from my breast.