Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Afraid on how to pump wean and on how to wean a baby. Help

Question Afraid on how to pump wean and on how to wean a baby. Help

So here's the scoop. I've had low milk supply and my baby is now 9 months old. I was told by an LC to pump IN BETWEEN FEEDINGS to increase supply and not to expect an increase until about 9 months and 10 months bc i started pumping at around 3 1/2 months. I pump 7-8 times a day. By this time i could wean... but i want to bf until he is 1 year. However, i'm not confident that my breasts will produce enough then, so i'm afraid on quitting supplementing with donated breast milk (via SNS) and without pumping. I have taken Goat's Rue and saw some improvement but i cant say that i'm confident in just quit pumping and letting the baby suck it all out since my letdown reflex seems to take a while. I guess it's bc I've used the SNS for most of our bfing relationship i'm lost without it and at a loss.

On another note: I'm not even sure how often my child should be fed. I'm still doing the 'once every two hours' rule. I've started 'sampling of solids' and i still offer the breast afterwards which he takes most of the time. Should i be feeding him more solids? It's just so much work, balancing pumping, nursing and feeding him solids. I'm so confused.

Since i've shared all this, what do you recommend on pump weaning and baby weaning? I'm pumping to increase supply. How would i go about pump weaning? When should i stop pumping if i see that my baby is still taking supplement past 10 months? (I have noticed he takes less now, usually 1 oz to 1 1/2 oz, except for his last feeding at night, which is usually 2 oz). Should i feed more solids? How should i wean the baby? What feeding times or situations should i keep?

I just want more time with my baby and also make sure i'm not going to get mastitis or anything like that if i dont wean off properly from baby and pump.

Default Re: Afraid on how to pump wean and on how to wean a baby. Help

advice anyone?

Do you want to wean the baby at 12 months?

I would try to get rid of the pumping. Are you supplementing at every feeding? What about seeing how it goes with the first feeding of the day to nurse only, no supplement and no pumping? And do that for a few days to see how it goes? And if it seems like everything is fine - baby is happy, enough wet diapers, then do the same with the next feeding and then the next and then the next? That would spread it out over a few weeks and then you could be done with pumping and the SNS. I'm sure that's quite exhausting.

For solids, I would offer to nurse before solids for the entire first year. I would also try to get off the pumping before upping solids right now, just so you're sure he's still getting enough milk.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

How much donated milk are you using a day?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Based on the information given, it's kind of hard to answer your question about pump weaning. If you're close to being able to meet your baby's breastmilk needs without pumping, I'd say you could just stop pumping now and make up the deficit with solids and donor milk or formula. But if you're really far from meeting your baby's needs, then I'd recommend continuing to pump until you're closer to a year.

One thing that strikes me is that you're planning to wean at a year. That's fine if you really are feeling done with nursing, but if you're still getting some enjoyment from it there's plenty of reason to continue to nurse past a year, not least of which is that after a year it gets really easy. You don't need to pump- you just nurse and feed solids and let it ride. As long as the baby is nursing 4-5 times a day, you don't need to worry about offering dairy, and you can think of breastfeeding as a nutritional crutch that's keeping your child's diet balanced, rather than as the mainstay of his diet.

Regarding your nursing frequency, it sounds like you're doing just what you should. You can't offer too much, and nursing before solids is the way to optimize breastmilk intake. Don't worry about not offering enough solids- until a year, they're just for fun and you want to have your baby eating predominantly milk until the first birthday.

Now, on to weaning in general. The key to gentle weaning is to go slow. You drop one feeding, replace it with solids, wait a few days, then drop another. That minimizes the baby's upset and your potential discomfort from engorgement. Most moms drop the least favored feeding of the day first, increasing distraction (like a trip to the store, a snack, a trip outdoors) during that time. Often the last feedings to go are the ones associated with sleep- before/after naps or bedtime.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How much donated milk are you using a day?
    I don't use the SNS for the first feeding of the day. I guess my breasts are still full from overnight that i guess it's ok. So then he does 6 more feedings during the day with the SNS averaging 1 to 1.5 ounces for 5 feedings and the last feeding averaging 2 ounces, once in a while 3 oz. So an average of 7 to 10.5 ounces per day.

I can try cutting one pump session and see how that goes, i'm just scared my baby is not going to get everything out bc my letdown reflex takes a while and he might not stay motivated without the sns. Do you think if i cut the pump session, at least have the sns near by to make sure hes gets a lot out?

Solids: If i do that, will he just mainly play with solids since his tummy will be kind of full from the milk? or will he still eat?

Solids are really only for playing with for the first year. Some kids really like solids, my older daughter didn't take to them until she was 14 months-ish.

I don't understand how much donated milk you're using. Aren't you pumping some of the milk you're supplementing with?
    Tracie

Mommy to

You could put just half an ounce in the SNS to satisfy him at the beginning and see how that goes. If you cut out the pump session and ditch the supplement and he has to work to get the milk out, he should get enough to meet his feeding.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*usamom View Post
    i'm just scared my baby is not going to get everything out bc my letdown reflex takes a while and he might not stay motivated without the sns.
    Have you tried crimping the SNS tube from time to time? You use the SNS to get him to the breast and suck until he motivates a letdown, and then you crimp and stop the flow. Baby continues to suck, but only from the breast, increasing supply and decreasing your reliance on the SNS.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Based on the information given, it's kind of hard to answer your question about pump weaning. If you're close to being able to meet your baby's breastmilk needs without pumping, I'd say you could just stop pumping now and make up the deficit with solids and donor milk or formula. But if you're really far from meeting your baby's needs, then I'd recommend continuing to pump until you're closer to a year.

One thing that strikes me is that you're planning to wean at a year. That's fine if you really are feeling done with nursing, but if you're still getting some enjoyment from it there's plenty of reason to continue to nurse past a year, not least of which is that after a year it gets really easy. You don't need to pump- you just nurse and feed solids and let it ride. As long as the baby is nursing 4-5 times a day, you don't need to worry about offering dairy, and you can think of breastfeeding as a nutritional crutch that's keeping your child's diet balanced, rather than as the mainstay of his diet.

Regarding your nursing frequency, it sounds like you're doing just what you should. You can't offer too much, and nursing before solids is the way to optimize breastmilk intake. Don't worry about not offering enough solids- until a year, they're just for fun and you want to have your baby eating predominantly milk until the first birthday.

Now, on to weaning in general. The key to gentle weaning is to go slow. You drop one feeding, replace it with solids, wait a few days, then drop another. That minimizes the baby's upset and your potential discomfort from engorgement. Most moms drop the least favored feeding of the day first, increasing distraction (like a trip to the store, a snack, a trip outdoors) during that time. Often the last feedings to go are the ones associated with sleep- before/after naps or bedtime.
    Thanks for the answer. I posted how much milk he often he takes. I've noticed since i started Goat's rue i'm able to make more milk and he has taken less donated milk. I pump every two hours, 15-20 minutes, 7 times a day at 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5 pm, 7 pm and 9pm.

I'll try offering bm first before solids. I didnt know that we should wait a year until going full force on them since my mom is kind of 'encouraging' to start full meals.

I guess i'm just not confident in my breasts being able to feed my baby without the sns bc i've been doing it for so long. I'll give it a try though.