Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to nursing in public

Default Re: Alternatives to nursing in public

I see alot of people on the boards talk about nursing in public and suggesting people not worry about what others found offensive and that everyone should feel comfortable nursing in public. However, my issue with NIP has less to do with what others think or how others feel and more about my own personal modesty. And while I would never deprive my child of nourishment, I would hope I could teach him to respect mommy's boundaries when it comes to public exposure and that means teaching him not to throw up my shirt in public or throwing a fit and insisting then and there on nursing.

My LO is only 6 months old so I guess we'll have to see if my intent matches my actions down the road....

desertchildaz - my advice is to start working with your LO now on what you would eventually like in terms of "nursing manners" in public.

My LO have learned to: ask nicely to nurse (sign language) instead of trying to rip off my shirt, stay latched on (not pop on and off every few seconds), keep my breast covered (not pull my shirt up while nursing). I do not let them twiddle the other nipple (even at home) and instead give them something to play with (nursing necklace, my hand, a small toy).
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    desertchildaz - my advice is to start working with your LO now on what you would eventually like in terms of "nursing manners" in public.

My LO have learned to: ask nicely to nurse (sign language) instead of trying to rip off my shirt, stay latched on (not pop on and off every few seconds), keep my breast covered (not pull my shirt up while nursing). I do not let them twiddle the other nipple (even at home) and instead give them something to play with (nursing necklace, my hand, a small toy).
    My LO tends to be distractible, so he often pops on and off to look around. (I want to point out for those who have been following my other discussion about problems I am having with him popping off after two minutes and screaming that what I'm referring to here is completely different than the issues we're dealing with right now in regard to his screaming.)

What do you do to keep yours latched (and not popping off an on every few minutes)?

I want to clarify that I don't have any issues nursing in public.I have nursed my older one till she went to preschool. I'm was basically looking for suggestions to reduce the nursing sessions in public. I don't want to nurse every hour when we are out and doing something. I will try the favaourite snack idea. It really looks promising.

Thanks
    Mangai

Mangai - when we're out as a family and I don't want to nurse and my toddler isn't accepting water / snacks from me, I try handing the toddler to daddy. Often (but not always) daddy has better success at offering alternatives.

6 mo olds are highly distractable. At that age I worked to minimize distractions. With a toddler I'll work with them on "no on - off".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I would tell Nora we could nurse when we get home/are done shopping/after we eat and then offer a snack/drink. I think giving her a concrete time to look forward to when she knew we would nurse would help her accept that she needed to wait. Of course I had to be sure to actually do what I said so she would believe me the next time.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*m.mangai View Post
    I will try the favaourite snack idea. It really looks promising.

Thanks
    Mangai
    Yes, that sounds good! I will have to try that too. Something that he has not had before.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

DD 16 months.

If we are out and can't get back to the car to nurse I usually try to find a private standing area like a quiet back corner of Old Navy or a dressing room. We have an Ergo and I just loosen the straps a bit and she slides down. It is hard to tell that she is nursing, especially with me standing and just shifting my weight.

If we are in a situation where I am surrounded by people and DD must nurse I usually turn around and face a wall so my boob won't be in line of sight. People still know what I'm doing but they are free to pretend they don't, if they must.

With DD1, I actually started getting embarrassed to nurse in public at 8MO This time, I was fine with it until around 14MO and I will admit, it had more to do with just not knowing what everyone around me thought. All of my friends knew I still nursed and I would tell anyone if it came up in conversation, it was just more of a self-concious thing.

At any rate, around then, I would just say, "not now" and stick to it. Now, she just knows when I say, "not now" that she doesn't need to bother asking again or throwing a fit because I won't give into it. I also offer to cuddle and she is a BIG cuddler so she always takes me up on it As far as the manners when she does ask, she is usually diving her hand down the front of my shirt

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tarantamom View Post
    I NIP, personally.
    I don't really have much to add that the others haven't said already, but I just wanted to throw out my opinion, don't worry about nursing her because of what other people think if that is the reason. Too often mothers are pushed to "closet nursing" because of public pressures...and it is so unfair on us. If I saw a Mama nursing her toddler lovingly, anywhere, I would tell her she is awesome for nurturing her LO!
    I complete agree with this, breastfeeding was never a big deal in my country and now as more moms are turning to formula its starting to become a "yucky" thing, I will do it anywhere and everywhere, If i try to cover baby hell just take it off so he can smile at me, so I say dont worry too much about it... its the natural way to go!