Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to nursing in public

Default Re: Alternatives to nursing in public

The other folks said it better, but in my opinion, setting necessary limits with breastfeeding now will allow me to continue breastfeeding in the long run. Right this minute, my baby doesn't always love these limits. But after putting him down after biting once or twice, he didn't do it anymore. So just a few "firm" moments have allowed me to nurse into his second year.

At five months, Joe of course did not understand reasoning or explanations, so stopping the nursing session immediately was the "gentlest" way I could imagine to get my point across that biting the nipple that feeds you is a bad idea! Now, if I tell Joe that something hurts, he totally gets it, so I use reasoning more. And that's usually what I use when he wants to nurse in public and it's not a good time, etc. I explain and distract. Different techniques work at different ages.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Mangai when DS was that age and I was nursing a newborn DD in public he did not understand why she could and he couldn't at all. The only thing that really worked for me was a special snack. I found something he really liked and responded to, and he only got it when he was being told no to NIP. Maybe something like that would help. Our magic treat was fruit bars. He hadn't had one before and man he was on that like white on rice.

Also my kids loved the sippy cups with the flexy straws like this. It's the only cup they would both take at first. They also liked chewing on the straw and playing with the flip close part so it was a toy and a sippy all in one. We did have to keep offering for a while before it clicked though.

Both of my kids were clothes pullers as well. I just made sure I always had layers so if they got aggressive with the pulling, I wasn't flashing anything

I hope you figure something out that works. It's not a fun phase.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I see alot of people on the boards talk about nursing in public and suggesting people not worry about what others found offensive and that everyone should feel comfortable nursing in public. However, my issue with NIP has less to do with what others think or how others feel and more about my own personal modesty. And while I would never deprive my child of nourishment, I would hope I could teach him to respect mommy's boundaries when it comes to public exposure and that means teaching him not to throw up my shirt in public or throwing a fit and insisting then and there on nursing.

My LO is only 6 months old so I guess we'll have to see if my intent matches my actions down the road....

desertchildaz - my advice is to start working with your LO now on what you would eventually like in terms of "nursing manners" in public.

My LO have learned to: ask nicely to nurse (sign language) instead of trying to rip off my shirt, stay latched on (not pop on and off every few seconds), keep my breast covered (not pull my shirt up while nursing). I do not let them twiddle the other nipple (even at home) and instead give them something to play with (nursing necklace, my hand, a small toy).
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    desertchildaz - my advice is to start working with your LO now on what you would eventually like in terms of "nursing manners" in public.

My LO have learned to: ask nicely to nurse (sign language) instead of trying to rip off my shirt, stay latched on (not pop on and off every few seconds), keep my breast covered (not pull my shirt up while nursing). I do not let them twiddle the other nipple (even at home) and instead give them something to play with (nursing necklace, my hand, a small toy).
    My LO tends to be distractible, so he often pops on and off to look around. (I want to point out for those who have been following my other discussion about problems I am having with him popping off after two minutes and screaming that what I'm referring to here is completely different than the issues we're dealing with right now in regard to his screaming.)

What do you do to keep yours latched (and not popping off an on every few minutes)?

I want to clarify that I don't have any issues nursing in public.I have nursed my older one till she went to preschool. I'm was basically looking for suggestions to reduce the nursing sessions in public. I don't want to nurse every hour when we are out and doing something. I will try the favaourite snack idea. It really looks promising.

Thanks
    Mangai

Mangai - when we're out as a family and I don't want to nurse and my toddler isn't accepting water / snacks from me, I try handing the toddler to daddy. Often (but not always) daddy has better success at offering alternatives.

6 mo olds are highly distractable. At that age I worked to minimize distractions. With a toddler I'll work with them on "no on - off".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I would tell Nora we could nurse when we get home/are done shopping/after we eat and then offer a snack/drink. I think giving her a concrete time to look forward to when she knew we would nurse would help her accept that she needed to wait. Of course I had to be sure to actually do what I said so she would believe me the next time.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*m.mangai View Post
    I will try the favaourite snack idea. It really looks promising.

Thanks
    Mangai
    Yes, that sounds good! I will have to try that too. Something that he has not had before.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

DD 16 months.

If we are out and can't get back to the car to nurse I usually try to find a private standing area like a quiet back corner of Old Navy or a dressing room. We have an Ergo and I just loosen the straps a bit and she slides down. It is hard to tell that she is nursing, especially with me standing and just shifting my weight.

If we are in a situation where I am surrounded by people and DD must nurse I usually turn around and face a wall so my boob won't be in line of sight. People still know what I'm doing but they are free to pretend they don't, if they must.