Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to nursing in public

Default Alternatives to nursing in public

I really don't feel comfortable nursing my 16month old in public anymore.The thing is she doesn't drink cow milk/juice.And also doesn't like suppy cups.But when we are outside she keeps pulling my shirt and shouting mlk mlk till I feeed her.She doesn't even give me time to find place or do anything.Since summer is coming up I will be going out with my 5 year old.I would really like to limit nursing in public.So I'm wondering what other alternatives I have.

Thanks
    Mangai

Default Re: Alternatives to nursing in public

Can you try to nurse her right before you leave or right when you get where you're going? Maybe if you can head her off, she won't want to nurse while you're doing whatever activity?

Have you tried different types of cups? Cups with straws? Open lid cups (regular cups)? maybe put water in there?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I nurse before we leave. I also do it in the car.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    I nurse before we leave. I also do it in the car.
    same here
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I NIP, personally.
    I don't really have much to add that the others haven't said already, but I just wanted to throw out my opinion, don't worry about nursing her because of what other people think if that is the reason. Too often mothers are pushed to "closet nursing" because of public pressures...and it is so unfair on us. If I saw a Mama nursing her toddler lovingly, anywhere, I would tell her she is awesome for nurturing her LO!
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

The womanly art gives suggestions like talking to your little one about rules and gently setting boundaries but I'm not there yet.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

or have some books or toys she likes. I still nurse in public many places but if it's a place we're not going to I let her know and tell her we'll get nummies at home.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

my LO (16 mos) doesn't really respond well to "nursing rules" quite yet I get not feeling comfortable but I still gotta do what my kid wants right now -- so if it's easy, i jump in the car or in a spare room/bathroom/bedroom - if not, i just turn my back and hope he doesn't resist the blankie/cover.... if he does resist... ah well. i tried.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    my LO (16 mos) doesn't really respond well to "nursing rules" quite yet I get not feeling comfortable but I still gotta do what my kid wants right now -- so if it's easy, i jump in the car or in a spare room/bathroom/bedroom - if not, i just turn my back and hope he doesn't resist the blankie/cover.... if he does resist... ah well. i tried.

Nursing manners didn't really take around here until she was 18 or 20 months.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

It is important to make sure that your LO is getting enough fluids when it is hot out though. I don't NIP much anymore (DD is 19 months and is fine with water in a sippy) but I am more than happy to do it when necessary.

I with the pp that said to try lots of different types of cup and be open to adult sport bottles (maybe even open cups) with water. Take them even if you don't think she will take is as she might when she is really hot and thirsty.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.