Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: soon to be 1 year old twins

Default soon to be 1 year old twins

My twins turn 1 year old on Sunday. It has been a very long and uphill battle but we are still nursing! My goal from the beginning has been at least 14 to 16 months. In the last two weeks, I have struggled to pump enough milk during the day to offer both babies their 2 bottles at daycare. They each take 2 4 oz. bottles every day and I also nurse them at noon.
    They have been sleeping through the night for months, but I get up every night to pump. I had been getting enough during the day at work for them and decided to start sleeping through the night myself. Big mistake #1! I was also taking more milk plus, fenugreek and drinking mother's milk tea and eating oatmeal every morning.
    I decided not to continue the more milk plus when I ran out last time. Big mistake #2!
    Within a week, I have depleted my freezer stash to almost nothing. I have restarted getting up at night and taking the more milk plus for over a week now. Nothing has seemed to help. What more can I do?

Default Re: soon to be 1 year old twins

awe hang in there...
    are they nursing when your together?

Our typical day looks something like this:
    1:00 am mommy pumps
    4:00 am babies nurse
    7:00 am babies nurse
    8:30 am babies eat cereal and fruit
    10:00 am babies take a bottle or nurse when mommy is home (mommy pumps at work)
    12:00 pm babies nurse and then eat veggie and fruit
    2-3 pm babies take a bottle or nurse when mommyis home
    2:00 pm mommy pumps at work
    3:30 pm mommy pumps at work
    5:00 pm babies nurse
    6:00 pm babies eat supper
    7:30-8:00 babies nurse before going to bed
    10:00 pm mommy pumps before bed

sounds good how are they doing with solids?

I think I would serve them what ever milk your able to pump and add cows milk if they are willing....
    As long as they are nursing well 3-4 times in 24 hours you realy don't have to worry with milk subs. You guys will work it out together.

Because my boys are 2 months premature, our doctor doesnt want them having any cows milk until at least 13 months. So, I am hoping to make it another month on our schedule now.

I forgot to answer about the solids. One does great with any kind of finger food you give him. He is pretty picky when it comes to any baby food from a jar. He will eat any of the fruits and some of the veggies. The other does not like any of the finger food, except for puffs or cheerios. He does great with being fed any jar food. For being identical, they are total opposites when it comes to eating habits.

Congratulations on nursing and pumping for your twins for a year!

Do they like yogurt? How would you feel about water to drink and yogurt to fill in the gap left by your milk during the day? Or pump whatever you can and fill the rest in with whole milk yogurt to eat?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

They actually love yogurt! They eat a little bit for a snack in the afternoons everyday. As far as water, we have tried bottles and every sippy cup known and they could care less. They dont even like juice.

When I stopped sending pumped milk for Lilah, I sent yogurt until I was ok not sending anything at all.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months