Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Resigned...

Default Re: Resigned...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    Here's what perplexes me: If he is having nipple confusion (more than 2 months after introducing the bottle) and he prefers the bottle nipple, then why is he reverse cycling and refusing daytime bottles so that he can nurse on me at night...only to refuse the very breast he's holding out for?
    This is what isn't making sense to me either. It seems like he doesn't want to nurse or drink from the bottles. That's why I was wondering about teething.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Just curious...how is he on the weekends or any other days you get to spend at home? Is he willing to nurse better when you're together for longer stretches? This could provide some clues as to what is going on.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizziesmom View Post
    Just curious...how is he on the weekends or any other days you get to spend at home? Is he willing to nurse better when you're together for longer stretches? This could provide some clues as to what is going on.
    Excellent question that I hadn't even considered. On the weekends, I breastfeed him exclusively except when he's with a sitter, in which case he gets breastmilk in a bottle. I feed him more on demand (his primary cue being that he tends to lay on my chest when I'm holding him and push his head to my chest and his back out away from it) and less on the strict schedule we use during the week while I'm at work. He still fusses and cries a few minutes after we start feeding, but not as consistently. It's a hit or miss thing. Sometimes, he'll pop off and scream and other times, I will grit my teeth waiting for him to and he won't.

He probably sleeps a little more on the weekend as well...waking only every 2 hours or so instead of every hour.

A couple of things:
    1) Have you tried different holds?
    2) Do you have trouble pumping enough, or do you have a freezer stash? If so, you could increase the caloric density of what milk he does eat by making "double cream" bottles: skim the cream off the top of one of the milk in one storage bag and add it to another. If you don't have a stash or can't easily pump extra (you may have mentioned this already, sorry if so), you can add formula powder to his day bottles. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but it's something moms of preemies have to do sometimes.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    A couple of things:
    2) Do you have trouble pumping enough, or do you have a freezer stash? If so, you could increase the caloric density of what milk he does eat by making "double cream" bottles: skim the cream off the top of one of the milk in one storage bag and add it to another. If you don't have a stash or can't easily pump extra (you may have mentioned this already, sorry if so), you can add formula powder to his day bottles. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but it's something moms of preemies have to do sometimes.
    I have tried different holds. Football hold (even at 6 months) seems to work the best and get the least amount of fuss and crying. (It only seems to work when I put hi on a stack of two pillows beside me.)

Lately, I think because AF returned for the first time a few weeks ago, I have only been able to pump 8-10 ounces per day. Prior to that I was pumping 12-15 oz. Herein lies the problem: If LO drinks 8 oz. during the day, that's nearly everything I'm pumping in a day. And now that the doctor wants me to feed him a bottle at 8:30PM when I put him to sleep, I'm falling short on pumped milk.

I've resumed Fenugreek, oatmeal and mother's milk tea and added a pumping session in the past few days so I've already pumped 12 oz. today. Yay! My stash (because of LO weekend visits with grandma, dates with hubby, etc.) has dwindled from about 15 4-6 ounce bags to just 3 4-6 ounce bags. As far as adding formula powder to his day bottles, I've never heard of that. Does that have a different effect than feeding him the single 3 oz. bottle of formula at 11:30PM each night?

If I skim the cream off one bag, won't that deplete that bag's caloric value, rendering it useless? Sorry, this is a new practice that I've never heard of...
    Last edited by @llli*desertchildaz; April 26th, 2011 at 05:13 PM.

I think adding the formula is the slippery slope to messing with your supply.

What about pumping just a bit (like a minute or two) and then putting him right on the breast so he gets a quick let down right away combined with breast compressions?

Also, have you tried nursing him in the bath?
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; April 26th, 2011 at 05:47 PM.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    I think adding the formula is the slippery slope to messing with your supply.
    Can you explain why you think this?

What about pumping just a bit (like a minute or two) and then putting him right on the breast so he gets a quick let down right away combined with breast compressions?
    I will try this tonight and see if it helps.

Also, have you tried nursing him in the bath?
    Unfortunately, our tub is out of service. (It's vintage, rusty and needs to be restored.) We're stuck with a shower for the time being. (I miss my baths!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    Can you explain why you think this?
    Well, I'm not saying this about YOU, but just about people in general. It seems like once people start using a little formula to meet a short-gap they end up using a little more and then a little more and then next thing you know, their kid is totally on formula. That's fine if it's what they want, but the moms I know seem to regret it.

Also, any formula you give your child means that your body won't make that milk. Breastfeeding is purely a supply and demand process. If you don't demand the supply - your body will not make it. Every ounce counts in this regard.

This link may have some useful facts. BTW, I'm not saying it sounds like you have a low supply. Your pumping out put sounds quite normal. I was only ever able to pump 10 oz over a 9 hour period at work.

Hang in there.
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; April 26th, 2011 at 07:17 PM.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    A couple of things:
    I agree with the double cream breastmilk bottles. But I don't think its safe to add formula powder to breastmilk. It needs to be mixed with water according the measurements listed on the package.

I suspect teething. I would try giving baby some ibuprofin + teething tablets to see if that helps.

Also, if you are wanting him to continue feeding by breast, you could get an SNS. If he is refusing the breast due to slower flow, the SNS would help solve that problem.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I do agree that it sounds like teething (does LO scream a lot too? Is it possible there is thrush?). Stopping crying when picked up doesn't mean they aren't uncomfortable enough to have issues eating and sleeping.

If you are adding solids to increase calories then it is important to pick calorie dense foods (like avocado) rather than rice cereal.

In general, if a mother wants to maintain her supply she she pump every time her baby gets a bottle, especially when it is a bottle of formula.

I have a couple of really odd questions. Does your baby get his bottles (when you are at work) warm or cold? And, have you experimented with that? Some LO's prefer cold (which can also feel better for teething mouths)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.