Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: On holiday with bitten, infected nipples!

Default On holiday with bitten, infected nipples!

Hello! I've been a big fan of LLLI forums, you've all helped me out quite a bit, but this is my first post. I'm a first time mom of 12 month old DD, no interest in stopping bf any time soon. However, currently in a bit of a sticky situation. We're on holiday in Turkey, and one nipple has thrush and the other is bitten so badly that I'm afraid it's infected! Thrush is manageable- I've got an antifungal cream, and it seems to be getting better. The bite is worse, though. DD chomped down on it 3 weeks ago with her new front teeth and broke the skin. It hasn't been able to heal because the new teeth rub against it every time she nurses- I don't think she means to bite. Now I'm afraid it might be infected, as it suddenly really hurts and feels a bit hard. Really don't want to have to quit bf under these circumstances, plus you can't beat bf for convenience while traveling. help!

Default Re: On holiday with bitten, infected nipples!

sounds like you need to get to a DR for some meds. You say you are treating the thrush..what about your LO? You need to treat baby as well.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Default Re: On holiday with bitten, infected nipples!

hi
    I don't have any advice but that is too bad! I have 1 3 month old and I am also having lots of issues due to teeth- I also want to keep nursing but am having troubles. I guess you could pump while the nipple heals- I have not had the lbest luck pumping yet, but I am not sure what else you can do. good luck