Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: SLOW weight gain!!! HELP

Lightbulb SLOW weight gain!!! HELP

I notice today one month exactly from his last appoint that my 5 month old only gained 3 ounces. He was 15.3 at 4 months and now 5 months at 15.6. I am breastfeeding from one breast because of surgery and I had problems with let down reflux and problems at 3-4 months with low milk supply. I am taking fenugreek and mom milk plus. He seems fine but a bit thin to me. I will call the doctor on Monday, I am nervous that he is not satisfied because he gets fussy alot. Any help or advise.

Default Re: SLOW weight gain!!! HELP

If he is steadily gaining weight it should not be an issue, and it sounds as though he is. How many wet and poopy diapers does he have. Don't forget that babies tend to have growth spurts at around three months. If you feel better about it, give him some expressed milk. That might help. If I can think of anything else, I will let you know. Hang in there.

Oops I meant to say that they tend to have growth spurts at five or six months. And that sounds like what it might be.

Were the weights taken on the same scale? Both naked weight? How much fenugreek are you taking and how long have you been taking it? Did the surgery involve any medication? What are your baby's current nursing patterns (i.e. how many feeds, one breast or both, etc.)? How many wet and dirty diapers are you seeing? What was his growth like up to 4 months? I know this is a lot of questions. Just trying to get some more info so we can maybe see how to help you better.

Were the weights taken on the same scale? No, different scale both naked.

How much fenugreek are you taking and how long have you been taking it? 2 caps 3 times a day

Did the surgery involve any medication? The surgery was 6 years ago and all i am taking are vitamins.

What are your baby's current nursing patterns (i.e. how many feeds, one breast or both, etc.)? Every 2 hours from one breast 10-30 minutes feedings.

How many wet and dirty diapers are you seeing? dirty poops every 2-3 days. Wet 4-6 a day

What was his growth like up to 4 months? birth 8.8lbs, 2 month 12.7lbs, 3 months 14.7lbs, 4 months 15.3lbs, currently 5 months 15.6lbs.

IS THIS NORMAL?

I'd say that there can be some really big variations in depending on the scale. On my midwife's scale, Shiloh is always about 6ozs less than on the doctors' scale...and I've weighed the same day. I always go by the same scale weight.

The wet and poopies sound normal. When he's fussy do it seem like a hunger fussy? Will he settle down after you nurse? how is he sleeping, at night and daytime as well. I'd say just keep offering him to breast as much as he'll take it, and then get a weight again in a few weeks...but try for it to be on the same scale. That way you can get a more accurate idea of his weight gain.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Average amount of weight gain for a baby age 4-6 months is 4-5 oz. per week according to The Breastfeeding Answer Book (slowing to 2-4 oz per week at after 6 months). Babies can have some ups and downs, though. And, your baby gained at an above average rate the first 3 months. The different scale can also make a difference, as PP said. Another thing I forgot to ask in the last post was whether or not he's had a cold or any other illness this past month. Even just a stuffy nose can cause a baby to not eat as much as normal. Do you offer the second breast at each feeding but he's not interested? That would suggest he's not still hungry. If you don't currently offer the second breast, I'd try offering both breasts at each feeding. Is he nursing every 2 hours through the day and night, or does he have a long sleep stretch?

Oops, one other thing I forgot--The BAB lists the dose for fenugreek as anywhere between 2 and 4 capsules three times per day. Some women have to take more than others to see a difference. So, if you feel like there is a supply issue, you could try adding a bit more fenugreek.

I am in the same boat with you. My baby only gained a pound from 2 to 3 months old. I called my MD last week and she said that as long as she is not losing weight, she is okay. She said that babies use up a lot of their calories when they growing taller, so she is probably just growing long. Also, I bought a pair of baby/toddler scales from Walmart.com that work great and cost around $70. It is a great way to keep up with baby weight. How is the Fenugreek working for you? I'm thinking about trying it. It is really hard to not feel bad when your baby isn't gaining weight, I know I do. Everyone tells me if she is happy and healthy, the weight doesn't matter.