Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply

Default Oversupply

I have been informed that I have an oversupply and I firmly believe I do. I started suspecting it about a months ago. I have read the materials marked in the post above and my son (3.5 months old) has all the issues.

I am working on downgrading my supply and pumping for about two minutes (which is an ounce to an ounce and a half) before each feeding. I work 40+ hours a week so I'm away from him for 9 hours five days a week. How do I lower my supply without lowering it too much? I've read all about the working full-time mothers who end up with an undersupply and I've tried so hard to make sure that wasn't an issue (hence, the oversupply.) I didn't know an oversupply could affect him so badly.

Default Re: Oversupply

Welcome!

How do I lower my supply without lowering it too much?
    It's tricky! Before I go on, do you mind sharing the oversupply symptoms you're seeing in your baby?

Basically, you want to decrease the amount you're pumping until it roughly matches your baby's needs. Stop your pump sessions a little early, leave your breasts a little bit more full. Eventually your supply should decrease to meet his needs more exactly. As you perceive, the potential problem is going too far and winding up with undersupply. Just go slow and be ready to add in more pumping sessions if you feel like your supply has dipped too low.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He has horrible gas, chokes on my letdown, I'm terribly engorged on my days off. He has green poo 75% of the time and has days to where he doesn't really poo and days where he explodes. I pump around 6 oz too much at work which is a whole nother feeding and a half of another one.

Whoa, that does sound like oversupply! Okay, so as I said above, you want to gradually decrease the amount you're pumping. Either decrease the amount of time you pump- do 7 minutes instead of 10, for example- or decrease the amount of milk you're removing each time by just a little bit, maybe a 1/2 oz or so. That way you don't leave so much milk in the breast that you get engorged, but you also leave enough that you signal your body that it's probably time to throttle back a little. Go slow and you shouldn't have any unpleasant side-effects!

If you try that and it's still not working, you might want to consider doing some block feeding- i.e. using one breast per feeding or for more than one feeding in a row- when you're at home. But be cautious! You can go too far with block feeding, and I'd personally concentrate on reducing pumping before trying block feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

How much are you pumping at work? And how often are you pumping?

I have had this same problem this time - I expected to pump 3 times a day at work, I'm away from baby for 10.5 hours. But I went back and I was pumping at least 4 ounces extra per day than she was eating - and I wasn't pumping until the milk stopped coming out. I would pump until I got freaked out by how much was in the bottles. So then the next week I decided to just pump twice per day and that has been working out ok. I'm still engorged on Fridays (I work tues-thurs) and by Saturday I am not engorged anymore.

I also make sure to pump through an entire let-down and until the milk stops coming out because I'm worried about a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Okay, so I've been blockfeeding through two feedings and pumping only twice at work. I'm seeing improvement in him but am still pumping around 13 oz a workday and he only eats from 7-9oz.

I do believe he is reverse cycling alittle so maybe 13oz is okay? I'm only getting engorged in the morning now but the morning after my day off I'm not while the mornings after I work I am. I work 3-11pm five days a week.

So when do I stop block feeding? I've always only fed him from one breast a feeding before so can I go back to that? Just play it by ear and if he starts getting bad again go back to the two feedings on one boob thing?

So when do I stop block feeding?
    When you see the symptoms that have been troubling your LO end. When his poops are mostly yellow, he's not as gassy, and he's not choking on letdown. Don't be afraid to end the block feeding if you have any doubt about your supply or your LO's intake. Worst case scenario, you see the oversupply symptoms come back and you just return to block feeding.