Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping & not keeping up

Default pumping & not keeping up

I'm trying to increase my milk supply b/c baby is still hungry after nursing so I have been supplimenting. I pump after feeding and halfway between feedings and I just can't pump enough to keep up with her. She is impatiant so she won't bf if milk doesnt' flow fast enough. This isn't due to bottle feeding b/c she has been impatiant from birth and thats why we started with the bottle. She is a great nurser when she is tired and less picky about flow speed. I feel like quitting the nursing and pumping during the day b/c I have 2 more kids and I can't do this(pump/bf every 1 1/2 hrs) every day due to our schedule. I have never tried any thing thats supposed to increased supply that helped at all but one of my friends suggested that I didn't try it for several days in a row???

Hi I'm Melissa
    I love my babies!
    Abigail Born 2-28-07
    Courtney Born 7-23-08
    Madilyn Born 2-16-11
    DH is SUPERMAN

Excuse me -there goes my toddlers

Default Re: pumping & not keeping up

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time, Mama! In you shoes, I think I'd want to see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for hands-on help. Maybe she can help you get your LO to nurse exclusively- and then you can put the pump on the shelf and things should be easy.

The best way to increase supply is to have a baby who nurses well. If you don't have that, you want to pump frequently using a really good pump (I'm talking hospital-grade rental or good double electric). You can throw in herbs (fenugreek, blessed thistle, oatmeal) and/or drugs (Reglan or Domperidone) for good measure, but you should use them consistently, for a period of days or weeks, and should not expect them to provide a substitute for work with the pump. They can help, though! The drugs in particular, though the herbs can certainly be useful as well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm pumping with a double medela. I've never tried medication and could ask the doc. Unfortunatly we live in a small town with a very expensive lactation consultant and no LLL.

Hi I'm Melissa
    I love my babies!
    Abigail Born 2-28-07
    Courtney Born 7-23-08
    Madilyn Born 2-16-11
    DH is SUPERMAN

Excuse me -there goes my toddlers

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sweetiebugs View Post
    Unfortunatly we live in a small town with a very expensive lactation consultant and no LLL.
    I know the LC is expensive, but compare it to the cost of using formula for a year. It usually ends up being a bargain. You might want to ask the LC if she'd be willing to let you space out your payments...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"