Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple vasospasm?

Default nipple vasospasm?

Hi - my son's 4 weeks old, I started out with inverted/flat nipples (nursing my last child 4 yrs ago was very painful) and almost immediately got bleeding cracks; i have very large breasts whcih, combined with little nipple, made it hard to get a deep enough latch. These are now resolving. However I'm having ongoing deep, radiating (knife-like) breast pain that comes and goes in waves, for a couple of hours after he feeds. i've been treated for yeast with diflucan/low-sugar diet/topical creams for about 2 weeks and have not noticed major improvement with this specific pain. i suggested to my OB that it could be Raynauds/nipple vasospasm based on this:

>> having circulatory problems that intensify in cold weather or under emotional stress - maybe yes, i was diagnosed with chillblains (a cold-sensitive circulation problem) during my last pregnancy 4 yrs ago but haven't had a problem with it recently

>> nipples that will change colors from white to purple in between breast feedings - maybe yes. they're red/pink most of the time, part of one turns white temporarily after feeding (this nipple is football-shaped) and part of the other turns purple (i thought it was a blister or something, maybe not)

>> stabbing, stinging, or burning pain throughout the chest area - yes, it comes and goes and is most strong after he feeds.

The OB agreed with my self-diagnosis and prescribed nefidipine, which i know has some side effects. Question: does my self-diagnosis seem right, and does it make sense to try this medication? Any ideas of what could be causing the breast pain if it's not thrush?

Thanks much-

Default Re: nipple vasospasm?

From the sound of it mama, it does sound like Raynaud's. I had it as well....no fun. I took the nifedipine in the beginning to get over the initial issues, then I learned of some other ways to help combat it.

Have you seen this or this?

Good luck mama! Hope you feel better soon!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Default Re: nipple vasospasm?

It sounds like vapospasms to me as well. My OB did prescribe the same medicine for me, but after taking just one pill, I became dizzy and lightheaded. It freaked me out b/c my blood pressure is already pretty low and I didn't want to take the chance of it going even lower.

I treated it as naturally as I could and it definitly made a difference. Before and after each daytime feeding, I would shove a heated rice sock down my bra. Sometimes I did this while I was nursing. I wore lots of layers to keep warm - bra, tight long sleeved tee and a sweatshirt. At night, in between feedings, I would sleep with a heating pad. While dd was nursing on the one side, I'd be heating up the other side! Not so natural, but I also downed the advil for several weeks when it was really bad.

I had this from the time dd was about 2 weeks old until she was 9-10 weeks. It is 99% better now (she is 14 weeks). Occasionally, I feel the stabs under my arms, but very, very rarely.

I hope some of that helps.