Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signing "nurse"...

Default Signing "nurse"...

So, we've been signing with baby H for almost 6 months and have really started to see the fruit of it. He's kind of made up some of his own signs, but also does "more", "all done", and more recently "nurse".

I thought this was a great idea at first, but now instead of him eating 5 times a day for half an hour each like he used to, he's asking to nurse every half hour or so. Sometimes more...this kid is insane! Before I taught him how to sign, he would be perfectly content with nursing 5 times a day, but now I can barely function because he's constantly attached. CONSTANTLY.

Any other mama's have experience with this? What did you do?! I'm hoping that after a few days he'll settle down and that this new phase is just that...a phase.

He's going to be 1 next month (AHHH! I can't believe we've almost made it to a year!) and I'm considering starting to wean him (very, VERY slowly), but with this new development, I don't know if that will be very successful. Especially since he's pretty much still EBF (with the exception of a few meals a week IF I can get my act together...)

So...any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    I'm Rhianon.

Married to Seth on June 9th, 2007

Mama to my beautiful Birth Center boys:
    Hudson born May 7th, 2010. My 10lb chunk.
    Wyatt born June 5th 2012. My 9.1lb "little" guy.

I love Jesus. I wish I were a ballerina. I’m always cold. My wonderful husband and I are about as opposite as you can get. but I love him more than I could express. I don’t have the best memory in the world, but I can quote F.R.I.E.N.D.S at you all day long. My favorite color is blue.

Default Re: Signing "nurse"...

Myaround 13 months, lo was asking to nurse a lot. I started offering him a drink of juice or just a hug. He had not learned other signs for those needs to. If u dont want to nurse try offering something else to see if that may be your situation too
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

yes, this happened to us. It was kind of funny, really. Every other second he was squeezing his hand. I was like "oh shyt, i've been neglecting his needs!" And then if it was really ridiculous, like we had just nursed for a half an hour, i'd offer him a sippy cup and see if that worked -- because they have very little language at this point, I think they're just using what they have. For instance, DS has few verbal words, but repeats mama, dada, truck, mima, papa, haddie etc ALLL DAY LONG, even if there are no mamas, ducks or trucks. He's just talking to practice. I think this is true for signing too - it may not be that he always actually wants milk, just that he's showing that he knows how to ask!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

OH. MY. GOSH! I thought the same thing. Totally thought I'd been neglecting my baby. But that makes sense that he might just be practicing his communication skills. He's very vocal with his voice, so why wouldn't he be with his hands too!?
    I'll probably try offering him water too and teach him that sign...
    I'm Rhianon.

I love Jesus. I wish I were a ballerina. I’m always cold. My wonderful husband and I are about as opposite as you can get. but I love him more than I could express. I don’t have the best memory in the world, but I can quote F.R.I.E.N.D.S at you all day long. My favorite color is blue.

I think this is really normal. Joe didn't learn the sign for milk until later, but he asked to nurse all the time at this age too - by yanking on my shirt! I think they're just delighted to see the clear connection between communicating and action, yk? Plus, it's common for babies to get clingy and start nursing a lot around a year - I think it's a separation anxiety time for many kids.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

, this literally just happened to us last week. the sign "clicked" in her brain. she kinda had a loose association with the nurse sign, but now she is like, hey! this means something! and she does it all the time to see if I'll say "quieres lechita (want milk)"? and when i do she cracks up. when she's really serious though she pulls/sticks her hands down my shirt. If I know its kinda too soon for her to nurse and she's just messing around/practicing the sign I distract her. So far she has also kind of associated the milk sign with sleepiness and also she tries to see if it works for objects. She'll make milk sign and point at an object for example. Too funny. She is also almost 1
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    : She'll make milk sign and point at an object for example. Too funny. She is also almost 1
    this happened for us too - like "i want something" and he equated that want with receiving! so he would sign milk and point.... i think it's all just learning to use the tools they have.

Another thing is that he tends to use "more" for "I want that" (toys, steak, my hairdryer...) and "all done" for "I don't want that" (certain foods, naptime, his car seat...), so I think he may think that the signs are interchangeable. "More" could mean "nurse" and vice versa.

I'm so thankful for this forum and being able to bounce experiences and ideas off of each other. It's really invaluable to me!
    I'm Rhianon.

with the PPs. My DD also signed milk a lot when she just wanted me. Milk = Mama for a loonnnng time. IME babies really like to run with their new found ability to communicate, I mean, that are utterly amazed that they make a hand gesture and you respond. It's just fascinating to them.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hudsy.and.me View Post
    Another thing is that he tends to use "more" for "I want that" (toys, steak, my hairdryer...) and "all done" for "I don't want that" (certain foods, naptime, his car seat...), so I think he may think that the signs are interchangeable. "More" could mean "nurse" and vice versa.

I'm so thankful for this forum and being able to bounce experiences and ideas off of each other. It's really invaluable to me!
    Max does all these things, too. So funny.