Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PleasPlease help! Projectile vomiting after breastfeeding!!!!

Smile PleasPlease help! Projectile vomiting after breastfeeding!!!!

My son will be 1 week tomorrow and has always been a burper and a happy spitter but in the past 15 hours he has projectile vomited 3 times about 15 minutes after feedings. He is an okay nurser, and will normally nurse close to 20 minutes total on both sides. Sometimes is it not that much, but all he wants to do is sleep, that is even after I wipe him down with a cold cloth and take his closes off. His poop and pee seem to be pkay.
    I have not cut anything out of my diet, but will pull the mil products right away!
    Any suggestions would be great. I am getting worried they will tell me he cannot nurse….. and I really don’t want that!

Default Re: PleasPlease help! Projectile vomiting after breastfeeding!!!!

I would call your pedi. With projectile vomiting there is a small chance of bowel twisting in infants, boys are more prone than girls. They do a super easy ultrasound to see what is up.

I do not want to scare you but projectile vomit should not be ignored.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Call your ped and get an appointment. Another link that might help Dr Sear's - spit up
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

Definitely call your baby's doctor right away. It's not unusual for babies to projectile vomit occasionally, but if he's doing it consistently, it's something that needs to be looked at.

Please let us know what you find out!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I took him to the doc and she said that he seems okay, but might be over eating, or it could be acid reflux… not to sure but too soon to tell. She said that it does not look like it is Pyloric Stenosis, thank goodness, I was worried. She is going to see him on the 3rd again and I am really tracking it and making goods notes and burping him like crazy!
    Thanks so much for the support

I was under the impression that you couldn't over feed a breastfed baby, who is eating "from the source" so to speak. (bottle feeding ebm is a different matter) Your doctor's comments trouble me in this regard. I would seek a 2nd opinion if it was my baby.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    I was under the impression that you couldn't over feed a breastfed baby, who is eating "from the source" so to speak. (bottle feeding ebm is a different matter) Your doctor's comments trouble me in this regard. I would seek a 2nd opinion if it was my baby.
    I think in the beginning, that's why newborns spit up...their bellies aren't getting the message that they are full, or they take in too much too fast

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing after being advised by both our doc and lc that I should emphatically not feed my newborn after spitting up because he was simply eating too much. I have completely ignored this advice when he demands more, but I do wonder about it.

My second child has been a major projectile vomiter from pretty much the third week of life. Burping is very important especially getting started. If a feed is lasting 20 minutes on each side then I would take a break after the first major letdown and burp the baby. Then latch back on for him to finish. It does help a lot.

Also, instead of laying the baby down after he eats lean back and hold him upright against you. Giving him some squeezes will release even more gas and the upright position is very helpful to minimize the projectile vomit.

Good luck momma! And
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09