Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Pain & cracks

Default Nipple Pain & cracks

Hello all,

I'm a second time mom and I nursed my first for about 18 months. I do remember having pain for about six weeks with the first, but I really don't feel like I can power through the pain this go round as I am returning to work earlier, after 4 wks. We are just now through week two and my left nipple is severely cracked and bleeds occasionally. Also I have a weird spontaneous pain that pulls from my nipple to my back. This is not the same as let down. I'm not sure what it could be. I have been doing a few things to help but I am open to any suggestions you may have. I have been taking regular ibuprofen, letting my nipples air dry and using lanolin as needed. I checked with a lactation consultant to make sure we had a good latch and we do. She suggested that he just has a strong suck. I won't quit nursing because I believe it to be the best thing for my baby and me I'm just looking for some advice if there is any!
    Thanks!!

Default Re: Nipple Pain & cracks

I had that pain with my DS1 and I think it was a nerve . I'm surprised about the latch, usually the signs you mention indicate a poor or shallow latch. When he latches do you do the :sandwich" where you compress your breast to get as much in as possible? the other thing I worry about with deep bleeding cracks is thrush which can cause pain. Are your nipples red at all, does the pain subside after a while or does it continue during and after nursing?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Default Re: Nipple Pain & cracks

I think it has more to do with the fact that my left nipple is flat and maybe this does effect the latch but I'm not sure hoW to handle this issue. I really don't have a problem on the right but this nipple seems more normal.