Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore nipple(s)

Default Sore nipple(s)

Right nipple has been sore for the past few days...I remember during a night feeding a few nights ago having a bad latch (nipple getting sucked in and out) and I have also been bitten a few times (not a sharp bite down, but like she increasingly closed her jaw slowly to a clamp). It makes sense that the nipple soreness could be from this, but how long is it supposed to last? I also might be hormonal (AF has not yet returned) since I got a big zit yesterday. POAS last week b/c I'm paranoid, and negative result.

Sometimes the pain goes through the feeding, sometimes there is no pain at all, and sometimes its just initially when she latches on and then goes away. It's not horrible pain, feels like mild pinching. Nipple doesn't hurt with bra touching it or doesnt feel sore any other time. Also the left nipple has had some occasionally soreness similar to the right, and has also been bitten. I feel like she is adjusting her latch (possibly from teething pain) and experimenting with it?

I don't know what nipple cracks look like, how can I tell them apart from the normal crenulations on the nipple? If I pull apart what looks to be a crack, will there be regular skin inside, or will it hurt, with blood or irritated skin? I am scared of thrush, but from what I've read that pain is very bad. advice?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Default Re: Sore nipple(s)

I'm not sure how long a sore nipple is "supposed" to last after being bitten, because I've been sore for 7.5 months straight, for one reason or another . I would recommend you apply some lanolin or other nipple butter (I just switched to a non-lanolin formula because the lanolin was so frustrating to use that I never bothered) after every feed. Try to allow your nipples some "air time" several times a day.

I think you're probably right that your LO is experimenting with her latch (whether she means to or not.) The presence of new teeth change the way the whole mouth feels. I didn't have any problem with the lower teeth, but now the upper ones have given me that "pinchy" feeling since they came in a couple weeks ago. So I have to be super careful when she latches now so she opens really big. I don't let her latch in pitch darkness where I can't see what's going on. I also have to support my breast, which I hadn't been doing before. Maybe watch her when she latches and see if you notice any difference in the times when you have pain vs. no pain. It may be some positioning problem you can help with. Good luck and I wish you a non-biter when those teeth finally spring through!
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

It could be that you are getting ready to start cycling again. My nipples get VERY sore for a week or so right after I ovulate, and then sore again for a couple of days right before my period. But it could also be that your little one is changing her latch. I remember that there have been a couple of times during toddler ages where I had to work with my son on his latch. Maybe try helping her to latch farther back on your breast and keep her mouth open wider. I think if it were thrush, you'd be seeing redness on your nipples, or bleeding from the cracks, or deep burning pain inside your breasts, probably itching.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Nipple blister? They often coincide with teething and a sloppy latch.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for the replies nursing on the right side has been less painful today. ive air dried more, used lansinoh and was careful with latching on.

mommal: i dont think its a nipple blister--hope i don't get one! i've been inspecting my nipples now (probably too much) since the pain began trying to see if anything is amiss. I still don't think I have any cracks, just skinfolds? one of those tiny bumps though in the areola, i think they are those oil glands? did feel a little tender like it might have gotten plugged. so i put some neosporin type stuff on it and im going to monitor. but its on the left (less sore) side

lizziesmom:i was thinking this too about the teeth, the new (huge!) top ones have sometimes left indents on my areola! since this soreness ive been really trying to get a better latch, its tough at night, ive been trying to get in the dim glow of the digital clock...she also likes to pull back and get on just the nipple, so irritating, and if i unlatch her at night she usually cries so i'm gonna try hard tonight to get it right the first time!

duckpond: im thinking it might be some of cycling too, the big zit is a huge indicator to me , and some headaches and moodiness. glad to know that latch adjustment is something that is ongoing and not just in my head! also, is it true that thrush is very very painful? so therefore mild pain is not likely to be thrush? or is it one of those things that it gets more painful over time also?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

My experience with thrush pain was that the skin on my nipples burned like crazy and the tissue deep inside my breasts burned and sort of stabbed. And the itch! My experience with cyclical breast tenderness is that the ovulation portion is mostly my nipples feeling very bruised, really tender when they're compressed, and the PMS pain is more my breasts themselves feeling sore. I don't know if any of these are typical or just my unique experience, but perhaps they will help.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012