Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pregnant & Cracks on Nipple

Default Pregnant & Cracks on Nipple

I'm nursing my DD who will be 3 next month. I am also almost 25 weeks pregnant. I've been having a lot of pain nursing and it is worse on the left side. So most of the time I just nurse on the right. I'm only nursing at night anymore. Anwhere from 1-3 times. Yesterday I noticed that on the underside of the left nipple(sore side) there are a bunch of little cracks. She was nursing on that side yesterday and I'm not sure if it's from the friction of her now bad latch or what. I was thinking that she doesn't latch properly anymore because I have no milk I put some lansinoh on it and it looked a little better this am. I don't think it's thrush, but I don't want it to turn into it. Any ideas, what should I do?

Oh and my lansinoh expired in 2009....is that a big deal?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: Pregnant & Cracks on Nipple

Multiple small cracks always makes me think thrush...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Multiple small cracks always makes me think thrush...
    crap! But I don't see any other signs of it and it's only on the underside? CAn it only be on one side?
    Proud mom of 2:

That is so not what I wanted to hear Mommal!! I was just reading a page on Kellymom and my sweet intake has gone way up in the past couple of weeks. That could be a contributing factor. I also read somewhere that thrush is likely to happen in pregnancy...I don't know what to do then...how to treat it. I see my MW on Thursday. I think I'll have her take a look and see what she thinks.

How do you know if it's gone? And if I need to treat my DD too?
    Proud mom of 2:

Sorry! I wish I could say that my first instinct was to think of something else...

I think that treating thrush during pregnancy is just like treating it at any other time. Reduce consumption of simples sugars and starches, treat both mama and nursing baby with Nystatin or Diflucan or whatever (ask you midwife, obviously!), increase hygeinic precautions...

I guess you know it's gone when the cracks and pain are both gone.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I'm so bummed!! Because I'm thinking your right. I haven't had thrush before. But I have had severe cracks from a bad latch in the beginning.
    Proud mom of 2:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    I'm so bummed!! Because I'm thinking your right. I haven't had thrush before. But I have had severe cracks from a bad latch in the beginning.
    And they were different, right? Bigger, and they'd open up wide when you nursed? My understanding is that thrush cracks are more slit-like, and latch cracks are more like wounds... But IDK, I've only ever experienced the latching cracks myself! (Thank G-d.)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    And they were different, right? Bigger, and they'd open up wide when you nursed? My understanding is that thrush cracks are more slit-like, and latch cracks are more like wounds... But IDK, I've only ever experienced the latching cracks myself! (Thank G-d.)
    YES. Huge and bleeding. These ones are like...if I can explain it...I have to pull my nip up to see the underside and the cracks are in between the skin folds and they are wet inside. I don't see any white though. I don't have any itchiness and they only time it hurts is if it's touched/nursed on. I am pretty sure I can keep DD away from that side because I told her I have a boo boo and showed it to her, so last night she remembered and used the other. She can be sweet sometimes
    Proud mom of 2: