Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MVI causing abdominal pain

Question MVI causing abdominal pain

My son is now 9 weeks old & has suffered terribly from "colic" since 2 weeks of age. We tried bio gaia drops with no success. I cut all dairy products from my diet a month ago, and stopped the bio gaia drops 2 weeks ago (once I realized they contained milk proteins - they were recommended by a pediatrician after I told him I suspected MPH.... sigh) - still no success. So I put myself on a strict elimination diet (one I found online recommended by Dr. Sears) - finally some relief! Given the great response my son had & my very limited diet, I decided the first thing I would reintroduce was my MVI (I could not find any milk protein products on the label) and my son went right back to his old bellyaching - literally! He went overnight from a happy, smiley baby to a complete bundle of misery. His stools prior to the elimination diet were very watery with mucus & ranged from black to green in color. Stool studies have been done & came back normal with no traces of blood in stool. After the elimination diet he was finally having normal poops. After one MVI his stools went back to green, watery, with some mucus. I assume it's the iron in the MVI he is reacting to? I will be slowly reintroducing other foods into my diet once he feels better again, but until I can get more variety in my diet I worry about not taking any vitamin supplements. Is there an MVI out there that anyone would recommend that may be easier on his tummy? I was taking Nature Made Prenatal plus DHA liquigels...

Feeling my sanity cannot take watching my son continuing to suffer :-(

Default Re: MVI causing abdominal pain

Has the Dr told you to take the MVI? Could it be that you just don't need it? If you have a relatively balanced diet you should be fine.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

What is MVI?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'm assuming multivitamin.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma

That makes sense. Maybe it has soy in it.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Yes, MVI = multivitamin

I wouldn't worry about it for a while. Make sure you are getting enough natural iron in your diet. Are you able to eat any cereal? It tends to be fortified w/ a ton of vitamins - B complex, folic acid, etc.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

This elimination diet allows potatoes & sweet potatoes boiled or baked, rice, pears &/or pear juice, green & yellow squash, & range fed lamb or turkey. I did not have access to the lamb or turkey, but did have some range fed chicken available, so I went with that. Salt & pepper as the only seasonings. I am drinking rice milk & found that rice chex is OK. I will admit that I added oatmeal in sooner than I was really supposed to because after about 2 days on this diet, my milk production decreased drastically (from 3-4 ounces each breast per pump to barely an ounce per breast per pump - if I was lucky).

I have been pumping & bottle feeding *almost* exclusively for nearly 2 weeks now as my son has never had a good latch at the breast, despite several visits with the lactation consultant & trying all we knew or could think of to try - he continued to slurp & click & take in alot of air when feeding at the breast. I do have a strong let down, so I tried pumping some before feeds and only offered one breast at a time given that I was producing so much. He has been checked thoroughly for any anatomical problems, and none are found - he's just a greedy li'l guy. We bought one of just about every kind of bottle/nipple we could find & he does well with the Dr. Browns.

I have been experiencing a ton of pressure from friends, family, and even my husband to stop feeding breastmilk & switch to formula - they feel it would "fix" his colic & approach me with the idea that if I was a good mommy, I would switch - apparently, they feel my milk must be bad (some have even said so).

We have endured 3 bouts of painful thrush... it has been quite challenging & I am feeling very alone in this as I am getting NO support, only criticism. Think I may fall to pieces at any minute now.

Don't give up mama!!! It sounds like you are doing everything you can for your LO! Your LO is very lucky to have such a determined and dedicated mom!

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Have you looked in the allergies forum? There are other mamas here who have dealt with your allergy issues.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Give up? ME? Not in my nature... which is why those around me feel that I am "just being my stubborn self" about all of this.

I did not see an allergies forum? Am I just overlooking it somehow?

My lil guy finally broke about a balloon full of wind right as we were trying to get him down for the night & is feeling much better. Of course, once he felt better, sleep was the last thing he wanted to do! LOL... so I stay up another hour or two... sleep is for the weak, right? His needless suffering has been lessened - I'll take it!

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I'm gonna stand my ground no matter what, but it sure is nice to know someone out there understands.