Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LO only wants to nurse in side-laying position - why??

Default LO only wants to nurse in side-laying position - why??

Hi mamas. My 15 week old LO is fighting me when nursing in a cradle hold for some reason. He's always done this to a degree, but I hadn't noticed how bad it had gotten until we went away this past weekend and I wasn't able to nurse him laying down as much as I do when we're at home. He has a history of fussing at the breast, but when he was younger I always attributed it to my supply problems and slow flow, but now I *know* my milk supply has gone up quite a bit (I can feel it), so I am not sure why he pulls off the breast so much when I am holding him in a cradle position.

I wonder if it's because I have a slower let-down in that position compared to when we're laying in bed together and totally relaxed... is that what it sounds like? Or what? It's hard for me to tell because I can't actually feel let-down...I just watch for his swallows, and I can see more rapid swallows when we're laying down. But he doesn't seem to give it enough of a chance when I'm cradling him.... What should I do?? I can't ALWAYS nurse him laying down!
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Default Re: LO only wants to nurse in side-laying position - why??

My son was the same way. When he got better head control he switched to nursing sitting up. He never liked the cradle hold.

Have you tried the football hold?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Watch his lower jaw. Could be that in the cradle hold your LO's lower jaw can't move as well.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Well, he's got decent head control... I can sit him in his bumbo seat and everything. And I used to do the football hold when he was smaller... I haven't really tried it since he's been bigger. I just need a position that I am comfortable in while NIP, and I'm not sure if the football hold will work... I'll definitely keep an eye on his jaw...

But it just seems like he's pissed in that position... he'll arch his back and holler at me, and fight me when I try to re-attach him.
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Sounds like maybe a fast letdown rather than a slow one maybe. For DS2 the flow was much more manageable for him lying down rather than in cradle position. You said your supply increased, so it could be a possibility.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samiha View Post
    Sounds like maybe a fast letdown rather than a slow one maybe. For DS2 the flow was much more manageable for him lying down rather than in cradle position. You said your supply increased, so it could be a possibility.
    I had a fast letdown with my son.
    Lyn

Really? Fast let-down? But wouldn't I be able to see some evidence of that? Like swallowing or leaking or something? In the cradle position, he'll suck suck suck suck suck pull off & cry, the suck suck suck swallow suck suck swallow suck suck pull off & cry... a bit like that over and over again. Whereas, his side-laying position, he's nurses more rhythmically...
    :

He could be pulling off and crying because its a bit fast to handle.
    Lyn

Mine likes the side lying,she likes the control. I cant do cradle hold with her. But can do cross cradle using a boppy. She likes the control to be hers. My hand or arm behind her head makes her feel like I'm being pushy.
    LaRae

DH Paul Married 06/26/99

My angel baby Peyton born too soon 09/07/01

Mason & Maya- twins 02/15/06
    Jasperlyn 12/08/07
    Elise 11/22/10

http://laraeslife.blogspot.com/

Hi--I had almost a similar experience as you--while nursing when DS was younger, he would pull off and cry when I used football hold or cradle hold. We ended up working with a lactation consultant who told me I had overactive letdown/oversupply. She recommended side-lying position which worked wonders because the milk came out more slowly and DS was able to manage it. So, I have to wonder if that might be what's going on for you. I didn't feel letdown either (I do now, though), but I did spray and leak everywhere for the first couple weeks of nursing.

On a side note, I loved side-lying position after a while--so much more comfortable for me. In fact, I miss it now since DS is 10 1/2 months and just crawls/rolls away if I try to do side-lying when he's not tired. Now that he's older, he can handle my fast letdown and we've returned to cradle hold. All well.