Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best pacifier for bf baby

Default best pacifier for bf baby

Hi - my son is almost 4 weeks old and i would like to soon start giving him a pacifier for the times when he's not hungry but just wants to suck and fall asleep. for now he's breast-fed only. 2 questions:

- how long is it recommended to wait before offering a binkie?
    - which brand/type of pacifiers are least likely to cause 'nipple confusion'?

thanks-

Default Re: best pacifier for bf baby

From what I have read pacifiers are linked to things like early weaning, some infections in daycare, etc. Importantly, moms tend to lose their ability to soothe babies when they use them.

With my first son i never offered them and he was fine. some babies do love them though

i would just recommend not using it to soothe if you can offer the breast instead.

you need to do what is good for you Each baby and mom are different
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; January 22nd, 2012 at 01:48 PM.

We use the Soothie pacifiers. Love them!

DD1 was given a MAM pacifier in the hospital- she didn't llike it. It gagged her. When we got home, we tried a NUK that we had recieved as a gift. No go. At her first pedi appt, we were given a Soothie and it was wonderful. She nursed for 21 months without issues. She had her pacifier for over 3 years... :O

DD2 was given a Soothie in the hospital. She was never a comfort sucker, though. She nursed for nutrition. She nursed for 23 months without any problems. She took the Soothie a bit as a newborn, but didn't take a pacifier at all after that.

DD3 was also given a Soothie in the hospital. She LOVES it! She is only 2mos old, but is EBFing without any problems.

Hope this helps!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

we didnt start offering one until about 5-6 months, when the teething reared its ugly head. it helped alot with that, especially at night when she wanted to suck but didnt want milk.

It was far enough along that her nursing was well established, so i have noticed no change in her nursing habits due to the pacifier.

i also fought it tooth and nail, but when it got down to horrible screaming and gnawing and not sleeping, i gave in.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Arrgh! Just typed a long response that my phone lost.

We use MAMs, have since very early on, no bad side effects to BF in any way in our case. My DH relies on it much much more than I do, he wanted to use one because he was a late thumb sucker and that is not a good memory for him.

It has been Very helpful in the car.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

We use the MAM brand, but the latex ones. They are much softer than the silicone ones. LO definitely prefers the latex over silicone. LO never used it in the early months (made a face like you were inserting a shoe) and never uses it during the day now. We only use it during the middle of the night when LO needs help falling back asleep and LO doesn't want/need to nurse at the moment.

Go with your gut, but I would try to use it really sparingly in these first few months. I think that when they're really little and they want to suck on something, they may as well get some calories while they're at it. They grow so quickly! It's good practice for you and baby and will help get your milk supply established.

we started using the earlier than planned - around four weeks? (DH was trying to let me sleep, I was wondering why everything was so quiet and i went into the guest room to find them both sleeping, max with binkie ) i was a little concerned about nipple confusion, etc...

but we never had any problems. Now he only has it at bedtime, but is pretty hooked. Oh well. We use Mams and it's the only kind he'll use (tried many many differet types), but I think you'll find that every baby is different in terms of their preferences. My sister's baby who is the same age has no interest in a paci whatsoever (unless max has it, then she wants it )

My dentist told me to just make sure the one you're using is approved by the ADA, but I'm guessing the majority are right now? Good luck!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I also use the Soothie. My one-month old loves it. We had no issues with nipple confusion--she sucks very differently when it's my nipple as opposed to the Soothie. Also it doesn't mask her feeding cues. Actually if she's hungry and is given the Soothie, she immediately spits it up.

She didn't like any of the others I tried (MAM and Born Free). I like the Soothie because it's soft, all one piece, and has a more natural shape and feel than the others.

I fought it in the beginning, too. Lillian has a *really* strong desire to suck, and I began embracing it more when I realized there were times when she'd be nursing but crying all the while, and she'd stop when I gave her the paci. As far as I could tell, she wanted to suck to sleep but was done eating

I actually took it away except for naptime without incident around 3-4 months, but reintroduced it at about 5 months because she was getting so determined and so GOOD at thumbsucking. I sucked mine until I was 7 and it pretty much took every ounce of creativity my parents had to finally get me to stop (this involved tricking me into thinking if I sucked it one more time I would...wait for it...possibly die). Didn't really want to repeat that

She loved the hospital Soothie, hated the store bought Soothie (more rigid for some reason), hated Tommy Tippee, but loves Nuk. Go figure. Babies are little individuals!
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

- how long is it recommended to wait before offering a binkie?
    My understanding is that you're supposed to wait 3-4 weeks, or until breastfeeding is well-established. Not everyone has it down at 3-4 weeks! This article may be of interest: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0501200247.htm
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"