Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and a stomach bug

Default Breastfeeding and a stomach bug

So my darling daughter woke up this morning and has been throwing up all day. She can't keep anything down. She's two and I am just heart broken. She doesn't have a fever and no diarrehea. At least not yet. Her tummy is just upset for some reason and you can tell she doesn't feel good. My question is about my other darling daughter, she is 6 week old. I thought that I had read/heard somewhere that it is almost impossible for nursing babies to get a stomach bug of any kind. Is that true? I'm being really careful washing my hands and even changing my shirt when I nurse her. But my two year old still needs me too! All she wants me to do is hold her. I want to but I don't want to get my newborn sick either. Any help, suggestions, advice? Thanks Mamas!

Default Re: Breastfeeding and a stomach bug

That's a good question. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to not expose the baby to the stomach flu. Washing your hands is very important in stopping the spread of infection and you are doing that!! I hope your 2 year old feels better soon. for you!!

Maybe someone will chime in that knows about this, sorry wish I could have been more help.

I do know that both of my kids have been exposed several times to the stomach flu and did not get it---Hmmm maybe it is the breastmilk??
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

Breast milk is not a complete guarantee against illness. However, it does contain a ton of antibodies that help to prevent and minimize illness. One of the most awesome things is that when your LO is exposed to a virus, your milk will make antibodies to the virus they are exposed to, so they have an excellent line of defense even wih their immature immune system. This helps to speed the recovery.

Also, breast milk is highly digestible and considered a clear fluid, so it is good to nurse often through tummy bugs.

A big hug to you both.

So apparently I was wrong. Bummer. I spent the night in the ER with my little one. THANKFULLY, her temp only rose to 100.3 so we avoided getting the spinal tap. It seems to have went through her rather quickly. The most concern was her temp. We are both extremely tired. Hoping to get some much needed rest! Thanks ladies!