Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Allergy? Overproduction? Which one?

Default Allergy? Overproduction? Which one?

I have been struggling with oversupply for 8 weeks now. I feel that finally it may be under control. My baby has had stools ranging from yellow/seedy to green/moucosy. I am block feeding in 8 hour blocks and my babies stools are still green and moucosy and today I saw spots of blood in it. I don't feel my supply is as out of control anymore and to stay on one breast for 8 hours seems excessive for my baby to still have green stools. BUT, yesterday I noticed that he may have had a bit of eczema on his cheek and he has always been prone to hives/rashes since he was born. He does seem to have a stuffy nose on and off especially after nursing. Does anyone think this could be some type of food intolerance in my diet? Or is it just the oversupply/foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. This is getting so frustrating!!!

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Allergy? Overproduction? Which one?

I'm not super well versed on oversupply - I just know the basics, and those have been picked up vicariously However, if it's been a real issue (and an 8 week struggle sounds like a real issue), it may just be the lingering effects from that rather than a food problem. That said, the only way to figure out the food issue is to eliminate and wait. And wait It can take a pretty long time for offending proteins to exit both your system and baby's, then for baby's gut to heal up, then for things to be finally back to normal. Dairy is usually the first port of call, because it's responsible for the majority of food allergies in babies. Soy would be next, and some mothers choose to eliminate both in order to avoid the potential for having to go back and start from square one with soy after they've already done the dairy elimination.

Let us know if you choose to eliminate things from your diet, and we'll be happy to help with tips and suggestions...good luck!
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

The fact that you said "heal" the gut makes me so sad. My poor baby, my milk is actually hurting his digestive track. That is so tough to think about. But, really what are the alternatives? Not formula that's for sure! Well, today was my first day of eliminating dairy and soy, so we will see how it goes. I was vegan a few years back so eliminating things from my diet is really not that big of a deal. I will keep you all updated and I thank you for your quick response. Thanks!

I know what you mean - nursing Lillian through her own bloody diapers while we worked through the eliminations was pretty heart wrenching at times, but I'm still glad I did it.

You being a former vegan makes me chuckle, in a good way. If I were to think up the ideal person to undertake an elimination diet, I guess I'd have to say it would be a (former) vegan

Hope things go well!
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Eight hour blocks sound LONG to me, and I had oversupply too (the longest my blocks got was 3-4ish hours). During those eight hours, you're not pumping or anything on the other side?

Your baby might have allergies. I would definitely recommending posting in our allergies forum. But just from a philosophical standpoint, just remember, even if your baby has allergies, it's rarely your milk that's doing it - it can usually be fixed by not eating a certain item. Hang in there.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yes, I have been going 8 hours minimum without pumping. Sometimes at night it ends up being 12 hours without using one breast. His poops are still green after this. Doesn't it seem impossible that he is still not getting enough hindmilk! I am feeling really bad about this today. I am very frustrated today. Also, he has been on Milocon for the past few days maybe that is causing his green poops. His poops were yellow a few days ago, I just don't understand why all of a sudden he would develop and allergy. I have not been eating anything new. I am so fed up I could cry!

Well, just green poops, in themselves are probably nothing to worry about. If your baby is happy and doing well, the color of his stools is not something to get too concerned over (blood in the stool, etc., might be a different matter). But if you feel like something is wrong, your baby's not gaining well, he's especially fussy, etc., then I would talk to the allergy ladies about eliminating dairy and maybe some other things from your diet. Again, though, if he's happy, it's not a problem!

Honestly, eight hour blocks are too long! I've never heard of blocks that long, I worry that your supply will dwindle away on that plan. Why don't you try six hour block (max) for a bit? Then maybe even shorten them beyond that. I don't think it's a foremilk problem at this point.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Just another hopefully reassuring thought - my baby has eczema, and I've yet to figure out if there is a trigger. Some babies just have eczema, and it's not due to anything you're eating or they're eating - it might be environmental allergies, or who knows? Apply a little petroleum jelly, A&D, or aquaphor, to it twice a day and see if that clears it up.

I know this is stressful, but if I were you, I would nurse normally, stop inspecting poops too carefully, and watch my baby's BEHAVIOR for a day or two. Is he acting like he's in pain? Is he gaining well? Does he have normal evening fussies, or is he fussing at all times of day and night? Because green poops CAN be normal.

You can call me JoMo!

Joe's Mom,
    I think you are very correct. I need to relax and stop inspecting his poops. He is gaining very well and a happy baby most of the time, though he does have fussy times. He was very fussy last week and the week before and this was when his stools were yellow. Now that they are green and watery he seems fine???? Maybe his poops just vary in color. Also, I am prone to eczema and acne, so maybe that is nothing, like you said. I will keep you all updated. I really appreciate all your kind words!

Joe had green poops sometimes (I also had O/S and OALD) and for him, I just learned it wasn't something to worry about too much. He gained weight REALLY well (he was a chunk) and he was a happy baby. So at some point, I just had to back off and say, I'm going to relax, you know?

You can call me JoMo!