Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby wants to eat after spitting up

Default Baby wants to eat after spitting up

Is it OK for a 3-wk-old to nurse again right after spitting up? He has a very strong suck, takes in a lot of milk, does not burp easily, spits up a mouthful after most feedings.. then wants to eat again.

Thanks-

Default Re: Baby wants to eat after spitting up

it might be a comfortthing, its perfectly normal. hell, during my pregnancy after i threw up from eating soemthing gross i'd feel hungry. its OK rto let him nurse again
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Totally fine Have you tried pausing the feeding midway through and trying to burp him then? I had a difficult burper, and I often found the only way she'd get the bubble up was if I sort of propped her up into a sitting position, leaning forward on my hand, then patted her.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

If I stopped midway to burp him, he'd fall asleep (and want to eat again 30 minutes later). I have inverted/flat/bifurcated/otherwise uncooperative nipples and feeding is going more or less OK, but I need to let the nipples rest in between feedings.

Even when he does burp, he usually spits out a mouthful after that. As long as he doesn't seem to be in pain, I guess this is OK? Someone told me that the milk 'matures' @ 3-4 weeks.. something about the hindmilk/foremilk ratio changing.. is that true?

Thanks much-

Even when he does burp, he usually spits out a mouthful after that. As long as he doesn't seem to be in pain, I guess this is OK?
    Yup, as long as spitting up is not accompanied by pain, it's a laundry issue and not a health issue.

Someone told me that the milk 'matures' @ 3-4 weeks.. something about the hindmilk/foremilk ratio changing.. is that true?
    I don't think it's as simple as described. By 3-4 weeks, many- but not all!- moms have experienced an evening out of supply, so that supply matches demand very exactly, without a lot of extra being produced. When that happens, most women will notice less watery "foremilk" when they express. Another thing that happens by 2-3 weeks is that the milk changes color as colostrum production shuts down. The first milk you produce is usually tinged yellow by colostrum. As time goes on, it may take on a bluish or whitish tinge.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Don't confuse spit up with vomiting. Babes spit up due to gas (mostly) and don't feel nauseous afterwords, like you do with vomiting. Now that the gas is out (and the bit of spit up) there's room for more! So feel free and continue to nurse.

What you can try is to nurse on one side and then burp. It's important that you do, to limit the spit up and gas pains later. If you find he's falling asleep, change his diaper. This is what I did and it really helped them to perk up enough for round 2 of nursing on the other side.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

My baby has a really strong need to suck also. I frequently put him back on the breast if it seemed like he needed to nurse again after spitting up, especially at 3 weeks. But a few weeks later we introduced a pacifier and I would sometimes offer that AFTER nursing. He didn't take to it as well as I had hoped but it's an option to give your nipples a rest in between feedings, especially for babies with that strong need to suck. I would wait a few more weeks though to make sure nursing is going very well. Some say not until the 6 week growth spurt has passed.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.