Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Was Exclusively Pumping...Need Help to Start Nursing

Default Was Exclusively Pumping...Need Help to Start Nursing

I am a new first time mom, and my son was born exactly 2 weeks ago. I attempted to have him naturally, and then had complications after pushing for 2 hours and had an unplanned c-section. He wouldn't latch well in the hospital and I was in too much pain to try any other hold besides the football, which he also hates. Then we were told he had jaundice, and were sent home with the bili blanket and the pediatrician wanted us to supplement until my milk came in, and then wanted me pumping to ensure he was getting a certain amount of milk every 2 hours. Needless to say, my nipples became raw, cracked and bled. My doctor gave me a prescription for Triple Nipple ointment, and the nipples are healing, and there is a scab forming on them, but I am terrified to nurse because I don't want him to destroy the scab, and have the same issues I had when I started to pump. Is there any advice out there for me? Can I nurse on scabbed nipples? What should I do? Thank you all in advance!

Default Re: Was Exclusively Pumping...Need Help to Start Nursing

Your nipples became raw from the pumping?

Oh, obviously, sorry..Did you have the pump on a high setting?

You need to talk to a professional. Someone needs to see you and help you figure out whats going on.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*intine View Post
    Oh, obviously, sorry..Did you have the pump on a high setting?
    I have been using the rented Ameda pump from the hospital, as the lactation consultants told me to use the industrial strength to build up my supply and then switch to the Medela one that I have at home to maintain the supply. They told me to put it on high for the first 2 minutes and then lower it for the remainder...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*codepink View Post
    You need to talk to a professional. Someone needs to see you and help you figure out whats going on.
    I was actually thinking that as well, but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas out there first. Should I inquire from the lactation consultants that the hospital I delivered in has?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*usafrmom View Post
    I have been using the rented Ameda pump from the hospital, as the lactation consultants told me to use the industrial strength to build up my supply and then switch to the Medela one that I have at home to maintain the supply. They told me to put it on high for the first 2 minutes and then lower it for the remainder...
    Try turning it to a lower setting. Just put it on the highest setting that you can without it causing any pain, then turn it down. It would probably be a good idea to get some help with the latch, especially if you are already in pain. Sorry, I wish I had more advice..and there are definitely people here with more ideas and suggestions. Don't be afraid to ask.

I don't know the ameda pump, but I became v intimate with the medela symphony after the birth of my preemie and it seems to me that something is wrong if the pump is hurting your nipples at all. Check the flanges with which you're attaching to the pump: are they the right size? And turn it down until it's comfortable. I established my supply on the lowest setting on the medela, though it might have taken more time. As important, I found, was apply ing heat and using massage while pumping (which meant only pumping one side at a time, alas).

As for switching to bf, I personally wouldn't see any harm in starting now nor in waiting--I think it's really up to what you are most comfortable with. you might combine bf and feeding ebm with a bottle (or finger feeding) until it hurts less.

Good for you, staying with it. Don't forget to keep caring for yourself!

Can you locate and call your local LLL leader? Attending a meeting with your baby is a good idea. they can watch you latch your LO on, and give advice and help.

good luck!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK